Tiny Bubbles

IITUFFTOBEATII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2006
At my desk
johnptc;840094; said:
except the mag drive was totally under water.........the air must have come out of solution with the change in pressure and did not redisolve before existing the pump.....

as for the conservation of mass.........i am sure mass was conserved however water contains many gases in solution.....think what happens when you open a soda can....co2 comes out of solution with the change in pressuer ( opening)...many bubbles:popcorn: :popcorn:
Okay, maybe....... However in most cases the bubbles could only exist in the zone where there was low pressure, even with the pumps you use that zone is still relatively small, upon exiting that zone the water pressure would collapse the bubbles. I will admit that I am making a lot of assumptions as I have never seen your set up in detail but unless the entire system is submerged without a single joint exposed to air than there is a possibility (likelyhood) that there was air coming in from outside of the system.

In response to the original post: From my humble experience I would say if you dont mind the looks of the bubbles than leave it alone, they can only help

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
IITUFFTOBEATII;840398; said:
Okay, maybe....... However in most cases the bubbles could only exist in the zone where there was low pressure, even with the pumps you use that zone is still relatively small, upon exiting that zone the water pressure would collapse the bubbles. I will admit that I am making a lot of assumptions as I have never seen your set up in detail but unless the entire system is submerged without a single joint exposed to air than there is a possibility (likelyhood) that there was air coming in from outside of the system.

In response to the original post: From my humble experience I would say if you dont mind the looks of the bubbles than leave it alone, they can only help

i stared at that mag pump under water for hours wondering about the bubbles in the output....i am still not sure.. i agree the bubbles OUGHT to go back into solution

..... i dont know still what was happening !!!!:confused: :confused:

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
I'm running a Supreme Mag Drive 24, if it helps any. I'm not sure what to do, short of putting a thin bead of silicone around every connection. I'm going to snap some details pics of my setup tomorrow and we can go from there. Although the fish don't seem to mind, it bugs the hell out of me.

Burtess

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Dr Joe;840358; said:
The air has to be coming from the input (suction) side or you would have a water leak. Plugging the output of the pump should not show anything. Now if you plug the intake and pressurize it (reverse flow) you'll find a leak.

You can try a little food coloring around the joints to see if they leak ( I use a syringe).

Dr Joe

This is true.....although alot of people do not understand this for some odd reason (within industry as well)....:)

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
Tainted Glory;841284; said:
I'm running a Supreme Mag Drive 24, if it helps any. I'm not sure what to do, short of putting a thin bead of silicone around every connection. I'm going to snap some details pics of my setup tomorrow and we can go from there. Although the fish don't seem to mind, it bugs the hell out of me.

i was running a mag 36 under 24 inches of water...seemed like it made its own air bubbles.....very fine:confused: :confused:

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
johnptc;841486; said:
i was running a mag 36 under 24 inches of water...seemed like it made its own air bubbles.....very fine:confused: :confused:

When it makes it's own electricity...call me!:D

Dr Joe

shookONES

MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
So what you are saying is there is a tiny air leak in the drain side of my plumbing?

On another note, I stared at my wet/dry's for a while the other night. It seems the design of the AGA Megaflow sumps causes large bubbles to rise before entering the bioballs. Do you think its feasible that this phenominon (sp?) in combination with my lack of large sponge (for the time being) in my sumps is what is causing my problem?

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Tainted Glory;843848; said:
So what you are saying is there is a tiny air leak in the drain side of my plumbing?

On another note, I stared at my wet/dry's for a while the other night. It seems the design of the AGA Megaflow sumps causes large bubbles to rise before entering the bioballs. Do you think its feasible that this phenominon (sp?) in combination with my lack of large sponge (for the time being) in my sumps is what is causing my problem?

Yes, before the pump, since it's a low pressure side it sucks air in.

Isn't that what they call the 'bubble chamber'?

It's a possibility, but you should be able to see the bubbles entering the final chamber.

Dr Joe

shookONES

MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Would a combination of duct tape and saran wrap around every joint alleviate some of my problem or would I be wasting my time?

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
A little silicone bead around each joint and temp. lightly wrap with tape to hold it there till it cures then you can remove the tape for better looks. It won't hurt and hopefully fixed the prob. :D .

Dr Joe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store