Tiny white worms

JuniorMonsterKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Sorry for lack of update but I’ve been doing water changes and less feeding since my original post And have noticed less of them. Also Just gutted my tank yesterday stirred up the substrate used my python to remove everything that I could that was floating in water column or that could have been buried in sand by my cichlids constant sand displacement methods. Had filters turned off during the substrate disturbance and cleaning so that they couldn’t escape into filter. Turned my power head into a water polisher with a small water bottle and packed it with filter floss and after 2 hours replaced it with a fresh batch. Cleaned my sponge filters thoroughly as well by placing them into my quarantine tank and ran them on high. Noticed a lot of the worms inside them came out and are on bottom of that tank. Going to suck them out now and clean out the quarantine tank thoroughly. I ve had no fish die of illness only 1 Snow White socolofi which was eaten.

No worms on fish or attached to them. I ve noticed any visible or floating worms were quickly snatched up and eaten and none of my fish have typical IP symptoms and all are acting normally and eating normally when I do feed.

I removed all stones from tank and let them dry out in a cooler for a few hours as the tank sat and settled. I can see a few here and there in the sand that’s against the glass but not nearly as much as originally saw when I first noticed them.

I’m not worried about beneficial bacteria as I ve gone above and beyond with making sure I ve got more than enough in that tank.
Running a fluval fx6 with biomax ceramic hollow cylinders in 2 trays / fluval sponges / k1 media / purigen media

Also running a fluval 306 with filled with biomax and k1 and sponges.

A 135 gallon sized sponge filter / a 65 gallon size sponge filter and I have a breeding basket full of sponges at the top of the tank (was seeding them for a few friends and other tanks I was looking to settup soon). Not to mention over 150 lbs of stone I removed but I scrubbed these and dried them out yesterday to hopefully remove any hanger ons.

All in all I think I let the number of fish I stocked greatly impact what I thought was a safe feeding amount.

Thank you all for the help. I really think it was over feeding and needed to increase my water changes or the amount I was changing per week aside from my usual 2 changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store