Tips on how to get these MOBA to breed?

Mymobas24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2021
This is mine and my husbands tank. It’s 240 gal. I cant remember exactly how old our guys are but def at least 3 years for the biggest one. We’re still not sure if the biggest is a male or female.(If yall like to take a guess?)
I’m wanting them to breed and the hubby doesn’t care either way. we love these fish so much, they’re so much fun to watch. I’m needing tips on how any of you got yours to breed:goldfish:

We live in Texas and our tap water is pretty hard. Our fish seem real happy just not sure if we have it just right for breeding these guys. We've bred lots of cichlids, except Mobas and Frontosa’s. So any advice for these guys would be great!

They eat a variety of goodies. Shrimp and pellets mainly.

DC840BCB-D808-485D-9895-975EB978F778.jpeg

4A620DBE-B7B9-4489-980A-FD8F71DBC325.jpeg

8073E7BB-D777-47D2-9677-1352BFCE4D4B.jpeg

CF9ABABF-0C81-4A7F-BA25-E3874D04C2BC.jpeg

image.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
This is mine and my husbands tank. It’s 240 gal. I cant remember exactly how old our guys are but def at least 3 years for the biggest one. We’re still not sure if the biggest is a male or female.(If yall like to take a guess?)
I’m wanting them to breed and the hubby doesn’t care either way. we love these fish so much, they’re so much fun to watch. I’m needing tips on how any of you got yours to breed:goldfish:

We live in Texas and our tap water is pretty hard. Our fish seem real happy just not sure if we have it just right for breeding these guys. We've bred lots of cichlids, except Mobas and Frontosa’s. So any advice for these guys would be great!

They eat a variety of goodies. Shrimp and pellets mainly.

View attachment 1457039

View attachment 1457040

View attachment 1457041

View attachment 1457043

View attachment 1457046
Welcome aboard
Beautiful Frontosa. I have no experience with Frontosa but someone will chime in with experience.

neutrino neutrino

Reactions: Deadeye

Bizdaddy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2005
Soquel, CA
Females will start to breed at about 3 years old. Males don't tend to mature until 4 years. It may be that your male isn't quite mature.

What are you feeding? How often? How often and what size water changes do you do? Is the tank in a high traffic area?

Mymobas24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2021
Females will start to breed at about 3 years old. Males don't tend to mature until 4 years. It may be that your male isn't quite mature.

What are you feeding? How often? How often and what size water changes do you do? Is the tank in a high traffic area?

Ahhh got it! I’m guessing these guys aren’t mature yet. Maybe next year.

They‘re on pellets (North fin) and every other day or two they get shrimp. They eat once a day. And maybe every 10 days we skip a day. We do about 25% water change every two weeks. Sometimes sooner. And yes the tank is in a high traffic area! Omg I never thought about that. We may have to do something about that for privacy.

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
I'm wondering if you have all males. The black widow is the only one that looks likely to be female to me. The two medium ones look strongly male to me, and the fourth one I'm leaning male too.

Gorgeous photos of a beautiful tank and group of fish, by the way! Outstanding! I like the choice of the leleupi and frontosa together to complement colors, shape, and size.

Reactions: Mymobas24

Mymobas24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2021
It looks like you have more than 1 male.

That black widow will spawn with the Moba. If you don't want that you will need to remove it. If you don't mind then you're all good.
We don’t mind that black widow spawning, but as he gets bigger we may decide to take him out. Domyounthink our big one is a male? I thought maybe it could be a female. Just a guess. :)

Mymobas24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2021
I'm wondering if you have all males. The black widow is the only one that looks likely to be female to me. The two medium ones look strongly male to me, and the fourth one I'm leaning male too.

Gorgeous photos of a beautiful tank and group of fish, by the way! Outstanding! I like the choice of the leleupi and frontosa together to complement colors, shape, and size.
Thank you so much! You know you could be exactly right! I was hoping there could be a female but we were thinking last night that “what if” these are all males! I’d be waiting for nothin lol but if they’re happy I’m okay with it. (Might have to find a female) ?
We just love the yellow leleupi popping up everywhere. The thing is they keep breeding. We grew out the 2nd spawn of the leleupi in another tank and sold it to the local fish store yesterday. we also have compressiceps too, black calvus and ventrallis.
so it’s been real fun!

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store