Tips on new caribe owner

Waaaa

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2019
Well I decided I'm gonna go to the piranha side of things, because I've been interested in them for a while. But anyways I've got a new 75 set up with some decent looking fake plants every where for cover, and some wood and rock. I'm wanting pygos and I have the opportunity to get some caribe around 5 inches. How much should I start with in the 75, and when should I get them to a 125-180? Are 3-4 caribe at 5 inches likely to kill each other in a tank of this size?

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadeye

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Caribe get quite large compared to natts, in the 14-16 inch range (compared to 10-12 for natts). In a 75, I’d go to about 8-10 inches before wanting to upgrade. Based on piranha growth rate that maybe gives you 6-8 months (they slow down a bit after 6 inches, at least natts do).
As long as you keep them well fed they should get along.

Waaaa

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2019
Thanks man, that's a lot of helpful info. I was just worried cause I've heard of so much horror stories of cannibalism and I'd hate to lose any fish especially if I'm only gonna be able to start with a small number.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Piranha generally only will eat the weak ones, but keeping them well fed tends to curb this behavior. They are an unpredictable and dangerous fish though, so anything can happen.
One general rule of thumb is to buy more than you want, expecting some to be killed, however this is not necessary.

Reactions: Waaaa and tlindsey

Somesed

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2021
I don't think you will get very far with a 75 gallon and caribe. I would say if you had like 4 of them at 5", that would be about the max. But those 5" fish will be 7-8" in no time, and that would be too big for a 75, IMO. They are definitely more viscous than red bellies. plus, as with all piranhas, they spook easily and go smashing into stuff, so you will want your tank in a non-traffic area. IMO a 125, or even better a tank that is 2' front-to-back would be way better.

as far as piranhas generally eating the weak ones: this is true, but id say there's a little more to it. In my experience, they will bully the weak one. as the weak one gets stressed, it will turn dark and become more timid, thus increasing the bullying. However, once this fish is removed or dies, it is quite likely they move on to the next weakest one eventually. and so on. This is not at all to say it will go on forever, or you can't keep them, but space definitely helps curb this behavior. Also, setting up the tank so that there is one major swimming area, as opposed to broken up spaces where they can establish territories, is best.

I also tend to stock with the expectation that I will lose some, but you have to be careful. The flip side is, especially with a "smaller" tank, that they do grow fast and you might have water quality issues, which could lead to more die-off than if you just had less fish to begin with. And while a larger group may quell some fighting (as opposed to only 2-3 fish), it might also work in the opposite manner if they are too cramped.

I love keeping piranhas though, so I wish you luck. they are cool. Also Caribe are cool, but WAY more aggressive than red bellies. In fact, I would suggest against putting caribe with red bellies at all.

Waaaa

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2019
I don't think you will get very far with a 75 gallon and caribe. I would say if you had like 4 of them at 5", that would be about the max. But those 5" fish will be 7-8" in no time, and that would be too big for a 75, IMO. They are definitely more viscous than red bellies. plus, as with all piranhas, they spook easily and go smashing into stuff, so you will want your tank in a non-traffic area. IMO a 125, or even better a tank that is 2' front-to-back would be way better.

as far as piranhas generally eating the weak ones: this is true, but id say there's a little more to it. In my experience, they will bully the weak one. as the weak one gets stressed, it will turn dark and become more timid, thus increasing the bullying. However, once this fish is removed or dies, it is quite likely they move on to the next weakest one eventually. and so on. This is not at all to say it will go on forever, or you can't keep them, but space definitely helps curb this behavior. Also, setting up the tank so that there is one major swimming area, as opposed to broken up spaces where they can establish territories, is best.

I also tend to stock with the expectation that I will lose some, but you have to be careful. The flip side is, especially with a "smaller" tank, that they do grow fast and you might have water quality issues, which could lead to more die-off than if you just had less fish to begin with. And while a larger group may quell some fighting (as opposed to only 2-3 fish), it might also work in the opposite manner if they are too cramped.

I love keeping piranhas though, so I wish you luck. they are cool. Also Caribe are cool, but WAY more aggressive than red bellies. In fact, I would suggest against putting caribe with red bellies at all.
I appreciate the input man!

Reactions: Somesed
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store