Tips on shipping ray pups

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Okay so I went with airport to airport cargo. 7-8 hours in bag and they were fine, shipping was a success. Thanks for all those who helped with this, much appreciated. I only had a couple minor issues: tying off the bag once full of oxygen was a massive PITA, twisting the top, folding, and putting tons of elastics. Bags seemed to deflate a tiny bit after the 2 hour drive to airport, but obviously they held up fine. The bigger issue was that the heat pack was pretty hot, and it was actually 8 degrees when they left here and 2 degrees on arrival. I didn't exactly know the temperature these guys would be subjected to so I left the heat pack in, but I know it got pretty hot in the box. At what temperature do you guys not use heat packs? Do you still throw one in the spring, and none in the summer? Or after it hits 10 degrees plus don't bother? I only used one this time around which was the best call I made, if temperatures were below freezing I would have used 2, just not positive when to let em go without one. After that basically I know what I need to about shipping, which really helps.

Reactions: keepinfish

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Okay so I went with airport to airport cargo. 7-8 hours in bag and they were fine, shipping was a success. Thanks for all those who helped with this, much appreciated. I only had a couple minor issues: tying off the bag once full of oxygen was a massive PITA, twisting the top, folding, and putting tons of elastics. Bags seemed to deflate a tiny bit after the 2 hour drive to airport, but obviously they held up fine. The bigger issue was that the heat pack was pretty hot, and it was actually 8 degrees when they left here and 2 degrees on arrival. I didn't exactly know the temperature these guys would be subjected to so I left the heat pack in, but I know it got pretty hot in the box. At what temperature do you guys not use heat packs? Do you still throw one in the spring, and none in the summer? Or after it hits 10 degrees plus don't bother? I only used one this time around which was the best call I made, if temperatures were below freezing I would have used 2, just not positive when to let em go without one. After that basically I know what I need to about shipping, which really helps.
congrats man. I'd use one until the high teens, 10 degrees Celsius is around 50 Fahrenheit which is still chilly for tropical fish. 17x2+30=64 Fahrenheit which isn't bad but ideally 20x2+30=70 Fahrenheit which is more ideal for no heat. You definitely wouldnot need the 72 hour heat pack in the teens, a 10 hour would do and you can place it in a little delayed. Even those hot paw hand warmers would work in the warmer Temps. As for the bag, look into metal ties or even zip ties will work, don't cut them or else the sharp edge may puncture the bag

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Ya I thought of using zip ties but cuz I have a bunch but never saw it done so erred on the side of caution. And actually the 40 hour heat packs have a lower surface temperature than the 24 hour heat packs, and also they take longer to get to max heat, which I think works in my favour considering the 2 hour drive I have to the airport plus I gotta be early. And even the fact that the max surface temp isn't as high works to my favour. However I will wait till temperature gets to around 20 before not putting heat packs in. Thanks for everyones help, this is going to be a whole heck of a lot easier next time.

stratos

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
Congratulations. I think you made the right call shipping airport to airport. One trick with the elastics is to tie up the single inside bag, and then tie up the outer bags again. It is kind of an insurance policy.

I have 4 BD's flying across Canada right now too...

Reactions: davenmandy
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store