TLkmDN's 10 month OLD 32'' pair of Alligator Gars Moved From Pond!

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Great way to stunt the crap out of them and screw them up is to grow them too quickly. Really IMO it is not much of a "badge of honor" to get a 6 inch fish to 32 inches in 10 months.. This is growing it to quickly and it will suffer from it.

To each their own... You will learn ....

TLkmDN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia/Perth, Australia
Polypterus;2946873;2946873 said:
Great way to stunt the crap out of them and screw them up is to grow them too quickly. Really IMO it is not much of a "badge of honor" to get a 6 inch fish to 32 inches in 10 months.. This is growing it to quickly and it will suffer from it.

To each their own... You will learn ....
lol maybe ure right...but its not that i shoved food down their throats...i just threw in floating pellets for my arowanas and the gars ate them! plus the growth rate is not really due to overfeeding...fish tend to grow extremely quickly in large spaces...i moved the gars to my pond the minute they reached 18''. maybe thats why

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Polypterus;2946873; said:
I'm not challenging you or saying you're wrong, but what exactly are you basing that statement on? I've seen several examples of how growth rate in Polypterus (and other fish) can be affected by tank size. A friend and I both got delhezi's from the same batch, same size, he started his in a 30g and moved them to a 180g as soon as they were big enough, they're now 7-8", mine started off in a 10g and got moved to a 30g after a month, they're now about 5". I've also seen phenominal growth on ornates and sens that were raised in a 3000L+ tank from juvis, are you saying they'll live shorter lives because they were raised in ideal conditions (better than habitat)? I've heard of people who worked har their whole lives dropping dead 6 months after retiring, but I can't see how the same would apply here, its not like the fish are being fed growth hormones like they give to chickens or anything...

TLkmDN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia/Perth, Australia
channarox;2953546;2953546 said:
i kinda agree....thats some strange growth.
whether or not it was a huge space.
i think theres been a bit of misunderstanding. my gars were with me for 10 months however i got that wen they were around 6 inches....so my thread is a bit mis-leading cuz they r older than the actual 10 months. they ust grew heaps wen i got them due to hikari pellets and a big space.

Just an update: the gars are now well over 3 feet...this thread is pretty old...i think the gars are around 2 years old now. they are not thattt much longer but much thicker!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store