To background or not to background?

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
I prefer dark background... depending on fish but you usually get better color from your fish against a dark background and agree they feel more comfortable being more secluded... if they can see one side of a tank is a wall they no longer worry about predators coming from that area of the tank

Reactions: tlindsey

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I prefer dark background... depending on fish but you usually get better color from your fish against a dark background and agree they feel more comfortable being more secluded... if they can see one side of a tank is a wall they no longer worry about predators coming from that area of the tank
Absolutely, It's the same with the top, and ends. One minute there's a dark hood, then there's LED daylite! This is not good. I try not to light the tanks too brightly when I'm not looking seriously for disease, wounds, etc. I bring the lights up gradually.

How many times have you seen a fish smash itself against a rock because the light came on suddenly? Bad Juju . . .

Reactions: Nilsafeller

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
Absolutely, It's the same with the top, and ends. One minute there's a dark hood, then there's LED daylite! This is not good. I try not to light the tanks too brightly when I'm not looking seriously for disease, wounds, etc. I bring the lights up gradually.

How many times have you seen a fish smash itself against a rock because the light came on suddenly? Bad Juju . . .
Absolutely... I keep my freshwater tanks a bit on the darker / murky side... I figure most rivers are a bit "dirtier" and murky with lots of veg and dark muddy Banks where the fish spend most of there time on the look out for prey and predetors

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016

I only use lights that come on gradually, like Kessil or Fluval Aquasky. I remember when I kept discus back in the day and used the old flourescent tubes. Not only did they come on suddenly, but they also flickered a few times before coming on. Spooked the fish every time. We can do better in 2019.

Reactions: Nilsafeller

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
In the old days, with delicate fish, I'd turn the light over, light it, then slowly turn it back to the tank.

Otherwise I would put cardboard under the lamp, light it, then slowly remove the board.

Reactions: adamsfishes

mitchkulis

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 26, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Then its settled and agree I put the backgrohnd back on. The colors do seem to pop better this way. Some new shiners were added and some rocks. Will post and update when they are acclimated.
20190710_222046.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store