to Many Devils?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
the whole reason danny's is working is because there is seven of them, nobody gets exclusively picked on. I still think you should get one or two more if you have a nice big filter :p

evilxyardxgnome

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
twitter.com
Over populating to reduce aggression in cichlids is stupid. Red Devils are NOT schooling fish and should not be kept in such a way unless given proper space. Also, female red devils can develop a nauchal hump. So sexing the RD by the hump is not completly accurate.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
evilxyardxgnome;1351475; said:
Over populating to reduce aggression in cichlids is stupid. Red Devils are NOT schooling fish and should not be kept in such a way unless given proper space. Also, female red devils can develop a nauchal hump. So sexing the RD by the hump is not completly accurate.
As long as good husbandry is practiced, I see nothing wrong with it.

Danny^d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
409 TEXAS
www.myspace.com
evilxyardxgnome;1351470; said:
Welcome.
Like I stated earlier, the tank is too small for 7 devils. I am glad its working out now but eventually they are going to compete for space.
i hope your wrong :D what am i gonna do if i have to separate them? sell them? arg.. their 8.5+ inches now and i have come home from work and turned on the light and they are all leaning up aganst eachother asleep! i can hold the food up aganst the glass and they just lie there but 5 mins later after the light is on they start going crazy for food as usual. we threw a lil party and i got 12 dozen shiners and put about six dozen in their to show people how aggressive they are.. it was awsome as usual they ripped the cute lil shiners to pieces the girls were in awe! ima be pissed when they do like their parents did.(the dad ripped the moms head from her body)

-Danny^d

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
evilxyardxgnome, I don't disagree with you on that point, but people keep certain fish for their own personally choices. It might be color, shape or looks. They may not care how agressive it could be in nature. I keep a large Vieja community and they still show aggro towards eachother. Just not to the point of killing one another. It is a way to keep a community of Cichlids without having to deal with total chaos. And even then it doesn't work all the time.

Danny^d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
409 TEXAS
www.myspace.com
Gourami Swami;1351435; said:
By the way, Rocksteady's myspace is awesome!
lol thanks. he has 500 more friends than me, and has only been on for 4 months. ive been on their for well over a year.:(

-Danny^d

cichlaguapote

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Pripyat, Ukraine
evilxyardxgnome;1351475; said:
Also, female red devils can develop a nauchal hump. So sexing the RD by the hump is not completly accurate.
I was gonna mention that when Milk said they were all males but you beat me to it.

evilxyardxgnome

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
twitter.com
Danny^d;1351568; said:
i hope your wrong :D what am i gonna do if i have to separate them? sell them? arg.. their 8.5+ inches now and i have come home from work and turned on the light and they are all leaning up aganst eachother asleep! i can hold the food up aganst the glass and they just lie there but 5 mins later after the light is on they start going crazy for food as usual. we threw a lil party and i got 12 dozen shiners and put about six dozen in their to show people how aggressive they are.. it was awsome as usual they ripped the cute lil shiners to pieces the girls were in awe! ima be pissed when they do like their parents did.(the dad ripped the moms head from her body)

-Danny^d
Feeding live food is not a good practive at all. Unless you breed your own feeders, store bought feeders can contain diseases that you can spread to your fish that you are feeding them to. Also in my experience feeding live prey makes cichlids more aggressive then feeding them a diet of prepared food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store