TODD BUILDS HIS 2500 GALLON CEMENT AQUARIUM FOR STINGRAYS IN THE BASEMENT

Anythingfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2005
Washington
RHINOMAN: I estimate your monster size concrete fish tank will hold about 1500 gallons. With good lighting and plants, the aquarium will be a thing of beauty.

The 1-1/2” thick acrylic window you are considering for your aquarium may be more than you need. Todd’s 72” by 32” windows are ¾” acrylic and although only 6 feet long, the addition of two more feet in length will not materially change the pressure per square inch. I know of a large Plexiglas aquarium measuring 8’ by 4 feet by 4 feet tall using ¾” material, which bowed a bit in its original location with a 44” water level, but presented no problems. This same aquarium is now in my basement however cut down to 32" high in order to pass through the doorway. There is almost no bowing in this 18-year-old aquarium. I think 1” acrylic should be more than adequate however, you must check this out on your own. Many suppliers of both glass and acrylic material for large aquariums automatically recommend larger thickness than may be actually required in order to avoid damage claims due to breakage.

Your proposed very large 4 foot by 6-foot aquarium filter chamber should be more than adequate. Depending on how you engineer your fish tank filter it may be more difficult to service than you planned. Further once “set in concrete” it will be almost impossible to alter the design or add more piping through the aquarium walls. Carefully measure the overflows against the volume of water you plan to circulate. A slight increase in gallons per minute through the filter might result in a one or two inch rise in aquarium water level. For example: I pump 4,000 gallons per hour out of my 3500 gallon outdoor aquarium, through an Aquadyne 4.4 bead filter and back into the tank. The overflow from the aquarium tank into the pre filter sump is 4” in diameter. At this 4,000 GPH flow rate the aquarium water level drops 2” when I turn the pump off.

The installation of the acrylic windows in Todd’s jumbo aquarium was quite easy and we did use Silicone as the sealant. The ¾” thick acrylic aquarium window fit nicely into the 1” recesses in the concrete. This made a nearly perfect smooth edge; fish swimming along the front of the aquarium do not encounter any protruding acrylic. I recommend you allow plenty of time for the silicone to cure a week or more depending on how thick the silicone seal is. The label on the tube might give the impression that 24 hours is an adequate cure time but that is for a small thin bead along a shower stall for example.

Be sure to keep us monster fish keepers posted on your progress. What is the thickness of the acrylic you selected? Where did you purchase the aquarium window and what is today’s price per square foot for acrylic? As I recall Todd’s ¾” thick, acrylic aquarium windows cost about $20 per square foot when gasoline was $1.50 a gallon and oil was under $47 a barrel.

We all wish you the best of luck and success constructing your concrete aquarium.

This is a photo of my temporary 3500 gallon outdoor heated aquarium:

This orphan Pacu was 12" long 4 years ago and now is 40" long and weighs 45 pounds...

Link to more heated outdoor aquarium construction pictures:
http://www.anythingfish.com/images/Ted/PhotoGallery/Ted's Outdoor 3500 Gallon Aquarium.htm

rhinoman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
MA
I'm still thinking about the window...My father is the right hand man for a concrete company. Concrete work is not an issue. It's the darn window I need help with. I have decided to go with a 10' x 32" acrylic window and figure 1" thick acrylic will be more than adequate. It's installation that I'm confused by. Did you just have the acrylic cut at a 45 degree angle and also do a 1" 45 degree angle on the concrete flange? Another words for my purposes I would have the edge of the 1" acrylic cut 45 degrees and the concrete with about a 1 1/2" 45 degree flange? Also how thick a bead did you leave in the acrylic? I'm sure with enough pressure one could squeeze most of the silicone out. I'm not so sure that is desirable though.

Hasi

Go hard, or go home
MFK Member
May 30, 2005
Australia
i have seen these pics over and over but i NEVER get enough.

Todd you are a true inspiration!

Anythingfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2005
Washington
rhinoman;618579; said:
I'm still thinking about the window...My father is the right hand man for a concrete company. Concrete work is not an issue. It's the darn window I need help with. I have decided to go with a 10' x 32" acrylic window and figure 1" thick acrylic will be more than adequate. It's installation that I'm confused by. Did you just have the acrylic cut at a 45 degree angle and also do a 1" 45 degree angle on the concrete flange? Another words for my purposes I would have the edge of the 1" acrylic cut 45 degrees and the concrete with about a 1 1/2" 45 degree flange? Also how thick a bead did you leave in the acrylic? I'm sure with enough pressure one could squeeze most of the silicone out. I'm not so sure that is desirable though.
Page 7 above contains information about sealing window with Silicone, be sure to use shims. If you glaze the window against the cement wall without a recess for the Acrylic, it will protrude into the tank, about 1-1/4 inches and become a hazard to the fish. If you leave a 1-1/4” recess in the 6” thick cement wall, for example, the window will fit nicely into the recess and be flush with the cement side of the aquarium. I suppose that you can bevel the edge of the Acrylic with a 45 degree cut to minimize damage to fish should they strike the windows protruding edge; however, a recess in the cement makes this un-necessary. I am not able to read your diagram as it is too small. Next time save it at a minimum size of 640 by 480, or larger.

carl87gt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
Woodbury, Minnesota
Very impressive! Any plans to finish the exterior? Such as with a wall with trimmed in windows?

Have you ever hopped in the tank with the stringrays? That would be tempting!

cichlidguy22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2007
west virginia
what do you do about the humidity in you house???? what about mold due to the moister and is there a floor above the tank. what about the wood absorbing the moister and getting weaker?????

Anythingfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2005
Washington
Moisture does not appear to be a problem with the 2500-gallon aquarium located in the basement. The heated basement has good air circulation; two-inch Styrofoam insulation covers the entire aquarium. The basement has about 700 square feet of floor space with the cement tank occupying nearly 100 square feet. We are on the lookout for moisture and mold which might result from aquarium water evaporation; thanks for your very good question

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store