Too high? Or not too high?

DMasker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Arizona
I am picking up a 180 tomorrow and I will need to build my own stand. It's cool I have some ideas in my head, but my main concern is the height I want it to have. Is 36 inches too much? It's my first time so this is probably a noon question. I was planning on using 4x4 s for the 4 corners and 2x4 s for the rest of it. This would put the tank at 60 inches. Then build a canopy about 8-10 inches high. Would this be stable. Just because of being top heavy. ? Thanks guys!

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
I used 4x4's. My father and I built it together, notching the outsides to make a corner wrap with 2x4's. The design you posted is essentially the same as mine, but instead of two pieces on the corner, it's one. Works like a charm. And I do love the way my 4x4's look. So cabin-man-ish.

libayn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
GA
the plans clay linked work well.thats roughly the way i built mine for my 210gal and the stands height is 36 1/2 inches.only problem i have with it is when i need to clean it or do something in the tank i need a ladder so i can reach down in it and im 6'1.

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC
As suggested above, stability should not be a concern in a well built stand. I prefer doubled up 2X4s to 4X4s for the verticals since they're more likely to resist twisting/warping, but I've seen 4X4s used successfully many times.

The height is really a matter of personal preference. Two big issues to consider are how tall you are and whether you are more likely to view the tank standing up or sitting down.

Clay

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2005
Chantilly, Va
One way to minimize the twisting possibility is to use plywood triangles in the corners.

bob965

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2009
MI
I would be more concerned about access than stability. That is a pretty tall stand, but the footprint is big enough so that top-heaviness won't be an issue.

geronimo69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
I built one out of 4x4's ( 6 of them at 36" ) and 2x4's. It's only holding a 75 gallon, but could easily support the weight of a 200 gallon tank.

sk8zeroatskewl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2009
Nebraska
i built one for my 75 that was 3 feet like what you want got my 75 up there and filled and absolutely hated the height of it so i took the bottom supports out and used a jugsaw to cut down the two by fours to 28" and it liked it a whole whole lot better

Ptown

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
New Zealand
High and deep makes for a challenge even if you are pretty tall. Lowering the stand height would make upkeep/access easier.

the_deeb made a good point, how you are going to be viewing the tank? sitting, standing? In any case that tank is looking primo. Well done : )

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store