Too much of a water change?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
In aquariums we normally stress the nitrogen cycle, and that is because it is about the only cycle, we as aquarists can easily control, with bio media nd its biofilm of beneficial bacteria.
In nature there is also the phosphorus cycle, the sulfer cycle, photosynthesis and many more cycles at work that contribute to the exchange and cleaning water in any non-polluted system.
There are also myriads of micro to macro animals that help break down organics pollutants we really don't normally have access to.
Add to that the constant movement of rivers, rain, flow in aquifers that constantly put fish in perpetual water change.
The Amazon river flow over 12 million cubic kilometers of water every minute ("1" cubic meters is about 250+ gallons).
So to me, the idea that any aquarist can do of too much a water change borders on the ridiculous.
As LBDave said above, I try to do 30%-40% ( a pittance) every other day, based on pH, alkalinity and nitrate trends after years of testing my tanks. If I test tank water, and nitrate readings are above 5ppm, I do a large water change.
5 ppm nitrate, or a sudden drop in pH of 2 ,or alkalinity of 20ppm being my high/low end indicator points.
I have done nitrate tests daily on raw Lake Michigan waters when I worked as a chemist for a large drinking water facility, and I have been testing natural waters here in Panama lately, I have yet to find detectable nitrates here, or way back when, in Lake Michigan.
Haha. Well that's my amazonian biotope idea gone well and truly tits up. That's about 3 billion gallons of water turnover every hour! Do you reckon my jabao DCP7500 will manage that on full setting.:grinyes:

• Haha
Reactions: BichirKing

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Haha. Well that's my amazonian biotope idea gone well and truly tits up. That's about 3 billion gallons of water turnover every hour! Do you reckon my jabao DCP7500 will manage that on full setting.:grinyes:
You can sit and stir that tank up with a spoon and nothings going to change. :naughty:

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
My tap water pH is 8.2
Thats close to what I get. Pretty normal. What exact africans do you have? Biggest thing is that there are no big PH swings but I doubt very much the water changes are a concern in regards to PH.

GrapeGuy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2019
Thats close to what I get. Pretty normal. What exact africans do you have? Biggest thing is that there are no big PH swings but I doubt very much the water changes are a concern in regards to PH.
I'm buying Africans right now

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I'm buying Africans right now
You can search the forum on africans and ph. Generally (a lot) of africans originate in waters with a higher ph than say south american cichlids. Some areas in africa have a lower ph. I wouldn't really worry about it. Some people use a gravel substrate that promotes a stable and a little higher ph that "africans" prefer. I think the bigger thing is a stable ph. Doing regular water changes say twice a week with tap water over 8 should be fine. I wouldn't do anything other than what I stated above for the ph.
Have you been keeping fish for a while? Do you have a test kit?

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I slacked off on the WC's because of the recent remodeling. My poor fish are suffering, and I am too. I have to move fish too, which will stress them more. This upscaling business is more costly than just money. Time to get the hose. . . .

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I slacked off on the WC's because of the recent remodeling. My poor fish are suffering, and I am too. I have to move fish too, which will stress them more. This upscaling business is more costly than just money. Time to get the hose. . . .
I have a very crowded tank. New tank getting cycled to help split up the group. I last changed water last Friday. Changed last night. Vacced out sump also. Cleaned gravel. Man did the fish like this. Colors really popped after the water change. Nothing like large water changes and fresh vitamins.
It also makes me feel good after I do this. Good therapy.

Reactions: BichirKing and Ulu

GrapeGuy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2019
You can search the forum on africans and ph. Generally (a lot) of africans originate in waters with a higher ph than say south american cichlids. Some areas in africa have a lower ph. I wouldn't really worry about it. Some people use a gravel substrate that promotes a stable and a little higher ph that "africans" prefer. I think the bigger thing is a stable ph. Doing regular water changes say twice a week with tap water over 8 should be fine. I wouldn't do anything other than what I stated above for the ph.
Have you been keeping fish for a while? Do you have a test kit?
I've only ever kept community fish and yes I do have a test kit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store