Top Fin aquarium heaters = Junk

FalconKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
Tucson, AZ
www.myspace.com
So my wifes community tank had a Ick breakout so I went to get a cheap heater to warm the water up for a few days until we got the Ick under control. I found these Top Fin heaters at Petsmart and figured since it will only be used for a few days I'll get one. It ran for about an hour and when I came back to check on it I found it was completely full of water. luckily it didn't electrocute me or the fish. I even let it sit in the water for about 30 minutes before plugging it in :irked: Soon as Petsmart opens I'm returning this POS and getting a Stealth. Lesson learned you get what you pay for.

moneygetter1

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2005
NYC
:popcorn: There are often problems w/ the 'bargain' heaters. Cheaper materials & manufacturing usually lead to early failure. (sometimes fatal). Better to spend the extra $$$ for a quality, dependable unit. There are a few that seem to fare better than others. Visi-Therm Stealth, Rena Cal Excel, Ebo-Jager to name a few. "T"

rmorse

Gr8 Stalker
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Great Mills, Maryland
I think it would be safe to change your title to "Top Fin = Junk"

rmorse

Gr8 Stalker
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Great Mills, Maryland
Wait, you didn't have a heater on your wife's community tank in the first place?

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
Ebo Jager is probably my favorite brand when it comes to heaters, never had any problems

FalconKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
Tucson, AZ
www.myspace.com
rmorse;2306630; said:
Wait, you didn't have a heater on your wife's community tank in the first place?

Here in Tucson the temp outside during the summer is usually around 105 degrees and we keep the house at 79 degrees. Her tank is in the office which is normally about 80-81 degrees from all the computer equipment. The tank normally stays at about 78-79 without a heater. Now that it's cooling off outside and we have the A/C off it's about 75 in the room so I got a heater for the tank. This is the first winter the tank has been set up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store