Top fin sand

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
HI
Does anyone know if the Top Fin brand sand comes out clean. Meaning it does not need to be rinsed? I typically use Carib Sea sand which really needs no rinsing but I can't find it locally. I really don't want to be bothered rinsing sand (so pool and play sand is out). Anyone know about Top fin? thanks

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I just used Petcos Imagitarium-black-aquarium-sand. Did a rinse and was clear before I filled the tank back up from the water change.

Can't say anything about Top Fins as I have not used it.

I have like you Caribsea Tahitian moon black sand in my other tank. Was looking for more and couldn't find it anywhere save a few Ebay bags for $80+ bucks.

I emailed Caribsea about it, apparently where they source the sand no longer produces a quality product so they are looking for a new source till then it's no longer available.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
i didn't rinse mine when i put it in my 45 gallon. the water may have clouded a little bit, but i don't remember it being a problem.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I just used Petcos Imagitarium-black-aquarium-sand. Did a rinse and was clear before I filled the tank back up from the water change.

Can't say anything about Top Fins as I have not used it.

I have like you Caribsea Tahitian moon black sand in my other tank. Was looking for more and couldn't find it anywhere save a few Ebay bags for $80+ bucks.

I emailed Caribsea about it, apparently where they source the sand no longer produces a quality product so they are looking for a new source till then it's no longer available.
Thank you. I will check out petco as well then. Good to know about the Carib sea. I was wondering why I couldn't really find it anywhere.

i didn't rinse mine when i put it in my 45 gallon. the water may have clouded a little bit, but i don't remember it being a problem.
great. thank you

Reactions: Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
The Imagitarium sand is a deeper black than the Caribsea sand is. It doesn't have the brown or shiny ones, just black.20190611_005500.jpg20190509_122354.jpg

Top pic is Imagitarium, bottom Caribsea

Reactions: ehh and Charney
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store