Topless Tanks

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
I have several tanks without lids and I don't really have any issues.

Valyrian

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Queens, NY
I think planted tanks without a lid look amazing. There's just something about looking at the plants and fish through the clear surface of the water that is so appealing to me. This obviously isn't an option if you're keeping certain species of fish however.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
None of my reef tanks have lids. I have tried to leave the lids open on my 90g planted discus tank but the water evaporates too quickly.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
No hoods in my loach tanks despite some well known jumpers.:D *knocks wood*

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
depends on the fish i have inside my tanks. Catfish, no worries. Dojo loaches, not so much.

Mystix212

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I prefer the look of tanks without hoods.
But I always keep a lid on because water just evaporates too quickly. That and the high risk of fish jumping out.

Angel51087

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2007
UK
i bought the tank without a lid and for the sake of preventing too much evaporation and dust getting in I just use a condensation tray. don't know if you would class that as a lid anyway

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
I would never keep a tank without a lid. My aro knoked the lid off of his tank and my JD slipped through a small crack in the back. R.I.P. lesson learned.

Merbeast

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2007
Sacramento, CA
www.thinking-man.net
I have no lids on my tanks. I do water changes 2-3 times a week (more towards 3 times than 2), so evaporation and dust are not a concern. I have had 1 fish jump, but I saved him and he has been reluctant to do so again. Lids annoy me, they get dusty and water stained. Condensation builds up on them. They get in the way.

P.S. I have mostly bichirs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store