Total Beginner help

Avogel

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2017
Cleveland, Ohio
Hello everyone, I have wanted to get into the hobby for years and am finally diving in. I have a few questions: 1. I have an old 20 gallon long, 18 gallon, and 46 gallon tank, which one would be better for me to start off with? 2. would it be better for me to use sand or gravel for it? 3. what would be some good stocking for the tank? I am willing to have fewer fish for bigger fish but want at least 5. Thank you in advance.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
1) Bigger the better
2)I'll say gravel as sand can get into the filters.
3)I'd go with simple stuff like danios or tetras until you get a little more experience under your belt. Stay away from high priced fish or predatory for awhile.
^
This

heavyhitter

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2008
Nebraska
Start with the larger tank of the one with the largest foot print, better for the fish and actually will be easier on you in the long run.
Learn about the nitrogen cycle, this is the most important thing you need to know and maintain.
Choosing a substrate depend on the fish you are keeping. Gravel may or may not be easier. It is easier to vacuum but if also if you use sinking food it can get stuck in the gravel and cause pollution. I like to use a very fine gravel not like sand but like fine rocks. Its good for scaleless fish too. There are very cool fish out there that don't get that big. What are you looking for in a fish that you want to keep, activity, color. behavior etc?

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Start with the larger tank of the one with the largest foot print, better for the fish and actually will be easier on you in the long run.
Learn about the nitrogen cycle, this is the most important thing you need to know and maintain.
Choosing a substrate depend on the fish you are keeping. Gravel may or may not be easier. It is easier to vacuum but if also if you use sinking food it can get stuck in the gravel and cause pollution. I like to use a very fine gravel not like sand but like fine rocks. Its good for scaleless fish too. There are very cool fish out there that don't get that big. What are you looking for in a fish that you want to keep, activity, color. behavior etc?
Most important advice, learn about the nitrogen cycle. Learn about fishless cycling as well, which kind of goes hand in hand with the nitrogen cycle.

Avogel

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2017
Cleveland, Ohio
I would be looking for a fish that is somewhat active and colorful, I'm immediately attracted to south American cichlids and fish from around the Thailand area as a few of my better friend used to live there.

Fish on Fire

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Visalia/Berkeley, California
Or, you could just go to your local lfs and ask them to squeeze some old filter media into a bag for you and pour that into your new tank. Tada, your tank is cycled in just a couple of days and you can add fish without a problem.

You don't have to stick to tetras and simple stuff like that at all. There are plenty of fish that are hardy and can handle a beginner that would be fine in the 46 gallon tank.

Convict cichlids, kribs, african mbuna cichlids, firemouth cichlids, acura, etc. All of these fish you can handle without a problem. You don't need to stay boring just because you're a beginner.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Convict cichlids, kribs, african mbuna cichlids, firemouth cichlids, acura, etc. All of these fish you can handle without a problem. You don't need to stay boring just because you're a beginner
Out of that firemouths and acara are a bit big and better in a group in a larger tank.

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store