Toughend laminated glass instead of floatglass.. need help

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
You can protect the glass edge with the design of tank (inbedded panes or butt joined adjacent panels). Or aluminium angle frame or epoxy coated steel.

Looking at your fish selection, I would definitely over engineer. I had one glass end "pop off" a 3 foot deep tank just from the water wave (pressure) of big fish suddenly turning. The fish never touched the glass, just the water. If I wasn't there to see it, I would never have known.

Reactions: Clothsack and Dloks

Clothsack

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
The Netherlands
You can protect the glass edge with the design of tank (inbedded panes or butt joined adjacent panels). Or aluminium angle frame or epoxy coated steel.

Looking at your fish selection, I would definitely over engineer. I had one glass end "pop off" a 3 foot deep tank just from the water wave (pressure) of big fish suddenly turning. The fish never touched the glass, just the water. If I wasn't there to see it, I would never have known.
I'm definitly going to protect the edges, i think the best option is using aluminium angle frame with epoxy on it.

Must've been a big fish.

Swimswim

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2017
Southern Indiana
Another option you can consider in laminated glass, is finding a supplier that uses a Uvekol inner layer as opposed to PVB or EVA. Uvekol starts as a liquid and is "injected" between two layers of glass, then cured under ultraviolet lights. The chemical makeup makes delamination impossible, which can be an issue especially when using PVB in an application such as an aquarium. We use Uvekol frequently when making multi layer laminated bullet resistant glass.

Reactions: Clothsack

Clothsack

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
The Netherlands
Another option you can consider in laminated glass, is finding a supplier that uses a Uvekol inner layer as opposed to PVB or EVA. Uvekol starts as a liquid and is "injected" between two layers of glass, then cured under ultraviolet lights. The chemical makeup makes delamination impossible, which can be an issue especially when using PVB in an application such as an aquarium. We use Uvekol frequently when making multi layer laminated bullet resistant glass.
I've contacted the store where i am going to order the glass and they told me the foil they use is PVB.

The told me they've sold many of these panels and if the edges are covered carefully nothing could go wrong. They actually recommended it.

It actually sounded more like that just want to sell me the glass.

If i silicone the panel in place and place a aluminium frame around it with epoxy i guess i should be fine right? Or should i try to find a other panel wich isnt laminated with PVB?

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
I am providing this advice from my own experiences, not as a qualified technical expert. I would not recommend PVB. Both from my own research and advice from my glass supplier which could supply PVB, EVA and SGP.

While preventing delamination is the main objective, SGP will also increase glass impact strengths considerably more than PVB. Youtube has some impressive demonstrations.

I'm not familiar with UVEKOL but it sounds excellent as well.

I am not sure where you are but it's likely you can import whole acrylic aquariums from China as well as custom glass. Dependent on logistic considerations and access, glass panels can be made 12m x 3m x 100mm (multi laminate). And no limit to acrylic if you don't mind clear seams.

There are online tough glass weight calculators to answer a previous question.

Also you shouldn't need to epoxy aluminium frame unless it's for appearance. Aluminum doesnt have much strength but fine as a protective cover.

Reactions: Clothsack

Clothsack

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
The Netherlands
I am providing this advice from my own experiences, not as a qualified technical expert. I would not recommend PVB. Both from my own research and advice from my glass supplier which could supply PVB, EVA and SGP.

While preventing delamination is the main objective, SGP will also increase glass impact strengths considerably more than PVB. Youtube has some impressive demonstrations.

I'm not familiar with UVEKOL but it sounds excellent as well.

I am not sure where you are but it's likely you can import whole acrylic aquariums from China as well as custom glass. Dependent on logistic considerations and access, glass panels can be made 12m x 3m x 100mm (multi laminate). And no limit to acrylic if you don't mind clear seams.

There are online tough glass weight calculators to answer a previous question.

Also you shouldn't need to epoxy aluminium frame unless it's for appearance. Aluminum doesnt have much strength but fine as a protective cover.

Ive been searching for a while this morning and i've noticed that we are only able to get PVB laminated glass. When i try to look for SGP it only shows me options to order from china

Im not sure how ordering from china works so i have no clue where to start.
If its easy to order from china i would definitly get a acrylic tank but im not sure how that works

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store