Tour de France 2021

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Well S skjl47 , here we are. I'm not sure how much traction this thread will get, i'm not really aware of any cycling fans, other than yourself, on the forum.

And i'm going to have to be careful what I say if you are two days behind in the proceedings because I've just this very minute finished watching today's stage, lol.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I will not open the thread until I catch up. I finished the stage where last years winner took yellow in the rain this morning. My favorite is Sagan but his name has not been mentioned lately.
I do think these guys are the fittest athletes around. I do a little fitness riding and cannot imagine what it takes to be just the dead last rider.
Thanks for not telling me todays outcome. My news does not cover the race unless some thing dramatic happens such as the 1st stage crash caused by that spectator trying to be on TV.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Don't worry, I won't let any spoilers slip. Yes, Sagan has hardly had a mention thus far. He's usually victorious in the green Jersey competition but is well down the points count so far this year.

I have a couple of racing bikes and, although I'm very fit, the gulf between my performance on a bike and those guys performance is day and night. I have the highest regard for them. No one can understand exactly how hard it is unless you've at least tried to ride yourself, sprinting and climbing and such.

That crash caused by that stupid woman could have been fatal. The organisers have tried to improve the spectator situation over the years but yet we still see instances like the other day.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I caught up just now. Looks like Po ga cha (sp) is the strong man again. I would have not figured Cavendish to be able to come back the way he has. Sagan will be a minor blip in the history while Cavendish will be a legend.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Tadej Pogacar is the new golden boy of Pro cycling. The young Slovenian burst on the scene last year taking the yellow jersey right on the last proper racing day in the individual time trial before the procession to Paris.

My long term prediction for this astonishing 21 year old is that he'll win his 2nd tour de France this year, and over the coming years, barring serious injury, will go on to totally smash the current record of 5 tour de France wins shared by Anquetil, Indurain, Hinault and Merckx. Of course Armstrong won 7 but those wins have been unceremoniously wiped from the record.

Cavendish should, this year, go on to beat Eddy Merckx long long record of 34 individual stage victories at the tour de France. Not only has he hit some great form, but for whatever reason, many of the worlds great sprinters aren't even at the tour this year, and those that are, many have already left through injuries sustained in falls in earlier stages. I believe there are several more sprint finishes left in the remainder of the tour so the record, and godlike status that comes with it, is his for the taking.

My favourite parts of the tour are the mountains. And this year, in fact I think it's today's stage, they go up the spectacular, yet hellish Mont Ventoux.......TWICE!!

Race organisers must have thought the three week hell on a bike tour was too easy so instead of trying to tire them out even more I think they're trying to kill them instead!

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I like the mountain stages best. I like the sprints. The time trials I fast forward thru to the last minutes. Yes todays stage will be tough. Cavendish has a weakness which is getting thru the mountains in the time limit. I still am surprised he came back able to race in such good form. I figured he was done some time back.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
He was cut down in his prime by the Epstein-Barr virus in 2018. It's been a real long haul back. He's lost 2-3 years proper racing time as a result. If it weren't for the virus I reckon he'd have surpassed Merckx record a while ago. His age is against him now. I think he'd be happy claiming the record and retire a legend, as if he isn't one already, lol.

Like you say, his enemy at the minute is finishing inside the time limit, and todays stage isn't going to help at all. Even with his team mates around him to "drag" him up the inclines he's still got to pedal, it's still brutal for a non climber.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; The way it is being reported a new team (Israel Startup) paid Chris Froum (sp) a lot of money to be on their team. I watched a stage race a few weeks before the tour and he was not doing well. The announcers said then he was not ready. Now he is lingering at the back. I get why he took the money. I do not get why he is in the tour. He was busted up badly and is not recovered yet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store