Training Arowana to eat Prepared Foods (Sticks/Pellets)

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
The six week aro was not starved, it refused to eat. It is also a 30"+ seven year old silver aro.

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Dude, I understand that you like your fish, but reviving 6 years old threads just to post the same pictures in 8 different of them is a bit overkill.

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
I went on a 2 and half week vacation, came back and my 8" aro started to eat pellets right away. when I came back it still look good wasn't so skinny but yeah that what it took to break my aro around 18 days starvation.

JardiniArowanaKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2017
Having the same struggle with my arowana. Currrently only like live fish and crickets. Please update on what worked to get him to eat pellets.

momiloco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2017
Haha..
I think the topic is still relevant as long as there is a new arowana keeper.

I am also starting to train my arowana on pellet. Currently the diet is mostly crickets and MW. Occasionally frog and dubia. He does not like MP. Once I was out station for 4-5 days, when I feed him MP he can take it. but after mixing up with MW and cricket again, he doest take MP.. not his favourite I guess.

Now I am going to start training/ starving him so that I can feed him pellet. It is in a comm tank, with 2 5' IT, 8' flagtail, 3 myleus lamax, 2 clown loach, 2 polka dot loach 1 upside down catfish and one pleco. Hopefully i can also train my IT to accept pellet.

Kan W

Feeder Fish
Sep 18, 2017
Hello, I have my silver arowanas for about 2 weeks now and all they eat is the Hikari sticks, do I need to switch up the food for them? Or just keep feeding them the sticks??

andychen100

Feeder Fish
Sep 20, 2018
took me 2 weeks of starving my silver arowana to train it to eat pellet.

I tried frozen bloodworm around small pieces of pellet. It ate the bw/pellet, first time it spat it out. Second time, it accepted. Once it recognizes the pellet as food, will eat.

As per many advice here, it is indeed a case of not giving up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store