Training wild fish?

alisha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2009
CA
I have a small Green Sunfish, about 3-4 inches big and I've heard of training them how to eat flakes/pellets when they are young, but it seems the only thing it wants to eat right now is Feeder fish, or bugs. I'd like to train it, so it can eat flakes or pellets instead because I'd hate to keep running back to the pet store to buy Feeder fish. Not only that, but I can't seem to find enough flies/moths around my house lately and it'll probably be harder to find bugs in the Winter time. :|
So how do you train a wild fish to eat flakes/pellets? I haven't tried freeze dried food yet, but I'm afraid it wouldn't like to eat it.

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
The next time you feed the fish, add some pellets along with the live foods. Keep doing this, adding more pellets and less live food each time, until they are eating pellets alone.

If this isn't working, let them go hungry for a few days, then add pellets. They will usually get the hint.

TheKrow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
Isleta, New Mexico
I've got a gill around the same size, and at first he would just look at the chichlid gold pellets I had to offer him, after a while he'd swim up to them and follow them to the tank floor, day later he tried one and spit it out. Pretty soon he stopped spitting them out. I learned to soak them for a few minutes so they'd be softer for him. Takes time and a little effort. In the mean time I'd shy away from feeders so much and bugs from around the house for fear of pesticides and disease. Bloodworms or gutloaded crickets would be a better diet for your little guy. Some people will starve a fish for a while then offer pellets, I could never starve my fish but it probably works. Hope I helped and GOOD LUCK!

alisha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2009
CA
Thanks for the replies. :)
I think I will go out and buy some Chichlid pellets and try feeding it to my Green when I give it a Feeder. I could also pick up some crickets when I'm at the pet store. Do they take freeze dried blood worms well?

le patron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2008
USA
I starve them until they eat the pellets, after letting them know that the pellets are food of course. I know this method sounds harsh but it has worked great for me.

alisha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2009
CA
Noto;3364959; said:
I haven't tried freeze-dried bloodworms but they will definitely take frozen ones.
I don't know if there is a pet store here that sells frozen blood worms. :(

I have done this numerous times. Don't skilp the frozen food step. Frozent tiny freshwater shrimp cube cut into bitesized pieces works best. Alternate earthworm feeds with shrimp, and don't be affraid to withold food. Sunfish are highly intelligent fish, and they'll eventually connect you and the frozen food, with, well food.

My redear sunfish eats marine frozen delight and frozen mysis shrimp and a high quality marine veggie flake.

Don't go the cricket route, I humbly offer. use only one "real" bait for the bait and switch, be it earth worms or feeders. I'd go with earthworms since they move a lot less and you want your fish to not associate movement with editable food so strongly.

alisha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2009
CA
Redearsunfish;3365036; said:
I have done this numerous times. Don't skilp the frozen food step. Frozent tiny freshwater shrimp cube cut into bitesized pieces works best. Alternate earthworm feeds with shrimp, and don't be affraid to withold food. Sunfish are highly intelligent fish, and they'll eventually connect you and the frozen food, with, well food.

My redear sunfish eats marine frozen delight and frozen mysis shrimp and a high quality marine veggie flake.

Don't go the cricket route, I humbly offer. use only one "real" bait for the bait and switch, be it earth worms or feeders. I'd go with earthworms since they move a lot less and you want your fish to not associate movement with editable food so strongly.
I just went out and bought a pack of frozen blood worms and my Green loves it. It's stomach is now round and full of blood worms. lol My other tropical fish seem to like the frozen food as well. I think I will go back and buy some different types of frozen food since the Green took it so well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store