Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2010
West Virginia University
shua71;5101857; said:
Tank water of course
^^ +1

Chizzle;5101873; said:
I have a 30 gallon rubbermaid tub you can borrow, big black trashbags also work pretty well. I used it to transport my 3 arowana when i moved in January. You're probably not going to need an aerator for 15-20 minutes, I used one when i moved because I first had to catch them and put them in the tub. Then I had to finish draining my tank and taking out all the gravel. Load the tank and stand into the uhaul truck, drive slowly to my new place. Unload the tank and stand out of the uhaul truck. Fill up the newtank and keep in mind i saved as much water as i could contain from my old tank. Then finally i got all my filters running for a good 10 mins i put them in.

the only time i can see you needing an airator is if you were to keep the aro in the tub for more then an hour

tscharf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2009
Bowie MD
i routinely transport fish more than an hour without anything although now adays only smaller fish. when i was just getting into the hobby i transported multiple fish over an hour and when i moved into my apartment i transported 2 18in channel cats a 8 in bullhead, a 8in tsn a 12in rtc and a 8in niger all over an hour inside a 20gal red tuberware container.... all survived and lived well for over 6months until a powerouttage killed them.

tscharf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2009
Bowie MD
that all being said i say the airstone and sponge filter idea are your best bet. imo if you get the sponge filter try and do it asap and put it in your tank running now so that it has a good build up of beneficial biological bacteria

Morledzep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
where my cichla are
for the OP, an 18 gallon rubbermaid tub will work fine.. put just enough tank water (the tank they come out of) to make sure the fish are completely covered, and get a battery powered air pump and stone. if it's less than a day you won't need more tha aeration.

for AFM moving 10 - 30 minutes.. a secure container that the aro can't jump out of and water from the tank you're getting the aro out of is all you need. BUT, a battery powered air pump with an air stone never hurts.

just be sure to do a drip acclimation for at least a couple hours when you get your fish home.

Morledzep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
where my cichla are
College fishman;5102086; said:
i have yet to master drip acclimating :/

all ya need are two air line hoses, and two buckets and a step stool.

you put the bucket that the fish is in on the stool, run one of the hoses from the tank you're going to put the fish in, to the bucket. then run the second air line out of the bucket to a bucket on the floor (or outside if the hose is long enough). start the syphon on the hose to the bucket, then start the syphon on the lower hose. all things being equal it SHOULD add and subract the same amount of water, but it never happens that way. you need to watch it and start or stop the syphon as needed.

keep the bubbler on the bucket with the fish while you're doing it though, and if you're doing it with an olympic jumping fish like an arowana, or peacock bass you might want to put a piece of egg crate on top of the bucket with the fish in it and weigh it down with a rock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store