Trapdoor x Mystery snail

(I might have posted this on the invert forum a while ago.)

So I went to pick up a Japanese trapdoor snail mid-December 2018. Next day I bought a mystery snail. I know for a fact that the mystery snail is male and the trapdoor is female. Didn't think they'd mate, but here we are. JPS gave birth to four-eyed, air-breathing babies. Considering that mystery snails lay eggs, JPS give birth and JPS can't breathe air, and OH! They live in separate parts of the world and would never meet in the wild, HOW CAN THEY REPRODUCE?

Mr geophagus

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2019
I think you need to contact aquarium co-op. You just made the discovery of a lifetime

Also Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 said he was positive they could at some time or another. Again this whole thing may not be so unusual but I just wanted to see.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Mine did breed, i had also mystery snail and i think a zebra snail and they did breed. If i remeber i also had a trapdoor snail that breed with mystery snail in my old planted tank.

Mine did breed, i had also mystery snail and i think a zebra snail and they did breed. If i remeber i also had a trapdoor snail that breed with mystery snail in my old planted tank.
Zebra Nerite snail??? They only breed in SW right?

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
Wow. That is strange. Since you only had them 2 months, another option is that maybe the JPS was holding sperm from a male it came across and was waiting for better water conditions to give birth. IDK if they do that, but a lot of animals do. Especially inverts. Just something to think about. I guess you'll see when the snails are bigger if they look like hybrids. Or if they breed again...

Reactions: Jmahn
UPDATE:

I had wondershell in the water at the time. Apparently that enhances mystery snail sex drive. IDK, I guess the mystery snail looked around and said: GOTTA MATE, GOTTA MATE, OOOOOH LOOK ANOTHER SNAIL WHAT KIND IS IT I DON'T CARE MATE MATE MATE MATE. They haven't been close to each other since. I might sell the hybrids, but they're still pretty small. I'll wait until they get bigger then decide what to do with them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store