Treat and reset my whole fish room?

Revan

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
Hey All,

Would appreciate any feedback from those who've had similar experiences.

Long story short, I have a problem with parasites. Mainly internal, like hexamita, but I also occasionally deal with gill flukes. The occurrence is actually fairly infrequent tank to tank, but since I have so many tanks, it adds up to where I'm always dealing with one problem after another.

I think the issue is that most of my tanks have cross-contaminated by now. So I'll treat one tank, then a week later the affliction springs to life somewhere else.

I now have a unique opportunity to fix it. I've recently moved, and as part of that I had to trim down my stock. My fish room is now at the smallest it will be for a long time. I'm wondering if I should take this opportunity to treat all my fish all at once. This would be a large, and expensive, undertaking. But I think it would help. Then going forward I would treat as a prophylactic in QT all incoming fish.

Specifically, I would do a week of Metronidazole. Then a week of prazi-pro. Break for two weeks and then repeat. I wouldn't do anything for ich as I haven't had that in years. And same story for bacterial infections, fin rot, etc. It's really just the parasites.

What do you think? A good idea, an awful idea, good but with a few tweaks needed, etc? I'll post my stock list in the next post if anyone would want to review it for input.

Thank you.

Revan

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
Stock List to be treated:

- 125g Discus
- 75g Discus
- 125g Aulonocara Stuartgranti, Phenochilus Tanzania, Melanochromis Johanii, OB peacocks
- 120g OB Peacocks
- 40B Psuedotropheus Acei (juvies)
- 75g Labidochromis Caeruleus
- 75g Paratilapia Polleni
- 20g Sailfin Shiners
- 75g Datnioides Microlepis
- 75g Denison Barbs, Cory Cats, Angelfish, tetras
- 225g Fire Ell, silver dollars, bala sharks (juvies)
- 20g Gold Severum (juvies)

Reactions: dr exum

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Props on all the tanks! That’s some collection...

my wife counted 11 here the other day, 3 of which are 5g- 20g (don’t really count in my book as they are hospital/fry tanks and tiny)

Meds,

Ya, if it’s goona save you time in the long haul maybe not a bad idea...

How’s it cross contaminating? You have tanks all on same filtration system?

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
I run a full time diatomacous earth fiter that is supposed to be capable of filtering out free floating parasites, bacteria and fungus. Knock on wood, I haven't had a disease outbreak of any kind in the past dozen years since I started running full time DE filters.

A full time UV filter is another technology that I understand should sterilize your water... but I have never tried one myself.

I "think" an approach like one of these would be more effective than preventatively treating your current stock.

Last edited:

Revan

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
How’s it cross contaminating? You have tanks all on same filtration system?
Hey dr exum. I don't have a central filtration system, but I'm sure it's cross contaminating from a dozen other things. Moving fish around tanks, as well as decor and plants. Even hosing used for WCs and gravel vaccing. I do try to maintain biological separation across tanks, but I'm only human.

Reactions: dr exum

Revan

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
I run a full time diatomacous earth fiter that is supposed to be capable of filtering out free floating parasites, bacteria and fungus. Knock on wood, I haven't had a disease outbreak of any kind in the past dozen years since I started running full time DE filters.

A full time UV filter is another technology that I understand should sterilize your water... but I have never tried one myself.

I "think" an approach like one of these would be more effective than preventatively treating your current stock.
Thanks for the idea Oghtsix. I didn't know UV could also be used for parasites. I'll have to look into that. Same with the other filter you mention.

I'd probably still need to treat for any parasites already in the fish. But then those filters could hopefully kill off the eggs or free-floating bugs that the medicine doesn't get, thus saving me from the 2nd round.

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
I would double-check the dosages. It's very common for commercial products to underdose. I know Kanaplex is extremely underdosed and I've heard that General Cure is as well.

Feed medications in gel food. It's much cheaper and probably more effective.

It might not be possible to completely eliminate Hexamita so the best case scenario would be to treat periodically to keep it under control.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store