Treating Hexamita aka Spironucleus

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
So do you have PHD in Medicine or Vet medicine? You're not a Sales rep for NLS are you? lol

All of those Threads were infact started by you, no?

Have you ever heard of the Chemicals Allicin and Ajoene?
As a matter of fact, Neill knows what he is writing about.

And yes, mentioned threads are his.

:)

NationsMostWanted

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2012
Fresno CA
oh hey guys! i made a thread in the FH forum and no one seemed to reply much. My guy has been having hardly any poop and not eating for the past two months. He just looks really lazy and sits there in his corner. He moves a little when i turn off his light. I believed he had Hex as well and few weeks ago i tried 2 treatments of general cure and it didnt seem to do anything. I been adding Epsom salt and soaking some of his food and still no luck? someone told me to try API Tetracycline?

but shouldnt he have died if he had Hex if hes been like this for two months? I cant tell if he eat at all.

Mastiffman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
MI.
TropheusAndMore.com
oh hey guys! i made a thread in the FH forum and no one seemed to reply much. My guy has been having hardly any poop and not eating for the past two months. He just looks really lazy and sits there in his corner. He moves a little when i turn off his light. I believed he had Hex as well and few weeks ago i tried 2 treatments of general cure and it didnt seem to do anything. I been adding Epsom salt and soaking some of his food and still no luck? someone told me to try API Tetracycline?

but shouldnt he have died if he had Hex if hes been like this for two months? I cant tell if he eat at all.
What kind of Water change routine do you have? Size of tank and filtration Equipment?

How old is it and do you see any type of exterrior abnomalities?

If he's not eating there won't be any feces. Did you change anything in the last few months? Equipment, Diet, Lighting, etc...

NationsMostWanted

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2012
Fresno CA
What kind of Water change routine do you have? Size of tank and filtration Equipment?

How old is it and do you see any type of exterrior abnomalities?

If he's not eating there won't be any feces. Did you change anything in the last few months? Equipment, Diet, Lighting, etc...
55 gallon tank he's probably about 1 year and half old. I don't notice any difference from outside. This started sometime in like January. I noticed in dec or so he wasn't eating much and never though anything of it.

Last big thing I did was a end of year 50% water change. Don't recall if it occurred after that. I'm stumped

Any help would be good in my original thread.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
And Andrew, to answer your question, that would be affirmative. I have heard of both of those compounds, and if you go back to post #25 in this discussion you will find a study that I linked to that involved metronidazole & ajoene.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22677132

Here's another study from a few years ago that did not include metronidazole.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21056027

These chemically synthesized derivatives of garlic (allicin and ajoene) only proved to inhibit growth of Spironucleus vortens, and only at very high concentrations far beyond what one will find on the market in garlic oil, fresh garlic, dry garlic, or garlic products sold in the aquatic industry.

In the latter study the researchers concluded:

All these concentrations are much higher than those reported to be required for the inhibition of most bacteria, protozoa and fungi previously investigated, indicating an unusual level of tolerance for allium-derived products in S. vortens. However, chemically synthesized derivatives of garlic constituents might prove a useful avenue for future research.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store