Treating Hexamita aka Spironucleus

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I'm not a vet, and I hate to make guesses, but if it was me, after 5 days of Epsom salt treatment, I would deworm the fish. Then go from there.

kungfuman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2011
Aberdeen, UK
Saw this thread as I was looking to treat a Oranda Goldfish with signs of internal parasite (lethargic and long stringy poop).

I normally feed with Repashy Gel Food and was wondering if I can dissolve the Epsom Salt in water and using that to mix in the gel powder?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Saw this thread as I was looking to treat a Oranda Goldfish with signs of internal parasite (lethargic and long stringy poop).

I normally feed with Repashy Gel Food and was wondering if I can dissolve the Epsom Salt in water and using that to mix in the gel powder?
Yea should be able to.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Are you boiling the water? If so, I'm not sure how that would affect the magnesium sulfate.

Reactions: kno4te

kungfuman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2011
Aberdeen, UK
I use boiling water to mix with gel powder. A quick google doesnt seem to show that magnesium sulfate changes if boiled.

Another question, are there any benefits/negatives to treating this on a regular basis (say 1per month / every few months) as a preventative measure?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Again, I have no idea how or if that would cause an issue with that substance? I never recommend using any form of treatment on a regular basis, as you never know how an organism may react from repeated treatments. I doubt that once a month would be an issue, but unless your fish is under constant stress this shouldn't be required. Your call on both accounts. Good luck.

yoyopeter

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2010
CA
Thanks RD. RD. for the very helpful information in this thread. I have 2 questions that came up as I am treating my geophagus pair with HITH.

Any thoughts on regularly feeding epsom salt soaked pellets (3% or less) to healthy fish as a preventative measure? Maybe as a routine weekly/monthly cleanse?

Can epsom salt be added to the tank directly in addition to feeding medicated pellets? Similar to aquarium salt treatments of 1 tablespoon/gallon. Is it safe/practical to add a similar amount or less per gallon?

Apologies if this has already been covered previously.

IckyIcky

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2020
Again, I have no idea how or if that would cause an issue with that substance? I never recommend using any form of treatment on a regular basis, as you never know how an organism may react from repeated treatments. I doubt that once a month would be an issue, but unless your fish is under constant stress this shouldn't be required. Your call on both accounts. Good luck.
Hey there. My buddy has a couple scratches on his head (But I'm unsure if it was from Breeding or HITH.) He currently has white gel looking poop, doesn't want to eat and just sits in one spot near the heater. Really worried as he just yielded a batch of eggs with his Missus. Only today he stopped eating. Dunno what to do, I'm worried as hell. I read your post but it was a couple years back and I don't know if it still works. I'd assume it does. Any advice? ):

wojtek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2023
RD. RD. Thank you very much for your contribution!

I started using the 3% epsom salt soaking pellets method your described, as I noticed my male flowerhorn started popping whitish stringy poop. And his color isn't as bright as before.

His appetite is getting worst, he's not eating any floating pellets, he just eats sinking pellets and not instantly after I drop them.
Was wondering will the Epson salt soaked pellets lose the Magnesium sulfate after laying in the Aquarium for couple of minutes?

Or it's better to make a paste food mixing DR. BASSLEER BIOFISH FOOD GARLIC with 3% Epson salt solution and feed manually?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Sitting for a couple of minutes shouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: wojtek
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store