Treating Hexamita aka Spironucleus

Gustav

Feeder Fish
Jul 21, 2014
Los Angeles
When the author states "small amount" through a soft pipette, I'm curious how much that is. Half a pipette? 25% of the pipette? I have a flowerhorn (gustav) and have tried everything. For one month he's been sick. He had one week during that time where he seemed to be getting better and ate 6 pellets a day. Since then, he's developed the typical hole in the head. Someone mentioned gentian violet on the hole helps. Can anyone tell me if this is true? I've done Epsom salt in the tank, para guard but unfortunately he won't eat so oral meds aren't an option. He seems to spit them right out. :( advice?

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
Up for this thread, im just curios, will there be a bad effect of to give the fish more than 3%? Reason I'm asking is I've tried before to inject magnesium sulfate solution into super-worms and feeding them to my arowana, but not sure of the concentration I've fed them.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Probably not, but a 3% solution is relatively easy to make.

For a 3% solution of Magnesium sulphate, add 1 level tablespoon (15 grams) magnesium sulphate to 500 milliliters of distilled water. Stir, and it's good to go.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
As much as it regularly eats, but I don't believe that aros typically have issues with spironucleus vortens/hexamita.

Bigg081

Fish Wrangler
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
When the author states "small amount" through a soft pipette, I'm curious how much that is. Half a pipette? 25% of the pipette? I have a flowerhorn (gustav) and have tried everything. For one month he's been sick. He had one week during that time where he seemed to be getting better and ate 6 pellets a day. Since then, he's developed the typical hole in the head. Someone mentioned gentian violet on the hole helps. Can anyone tell me if this is true? I've done Epsom salt in the tank, para guard but unfortunately he won't eat so oral meds aren't an option. He seems to spit them right out. :( advice?
RD. RD. , I am having this same issue with my Flowerhorn. Its been about two weeks since he ate. Just chews it up and spits it out. With Epsom Salt, is there a way to treat the entire tank that will have the same effect? Its seems that anything with Metro needs to have the active carbon removed. I am hesitant to do that since this is my office aquarium and it gets a lot of natural light. I use carbon that helps remove phosphates and reduce the algae.
Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store