Treating Ich

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
I don't really see the point of moving them to the quarantine tank if i gotta treat the whole tank they are in anyway.... The pbass was too big for the quarantine tank...and it was currently full of fishes...lol.....

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
i just thought i'd offer some helpful info ;)

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
Eh..most of the time the fish i put in have already been quarantined...besides..to impatient...hehe...this is the first time i've gotten ich in a LONG time....it either came from the pbass or the feeders for the pbass....*sigh*.....ordering fish online does have its perks...the fish are almost always top quality and don't need quarantine! :O

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
Table salt works fine. I use mortons. LOL
Its also important to really bump up the temperature. This speeds up the
life cycle of ich and will help you eliminate it faster.

IMO , the success rate of treating ich with salt is very high if the treatment is started early.

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
Thats the thing.....it had been there for about two days before i was able to start treatin it.....with salt anyway...i treated it one day with some ich med and then ran out. The only thing about turnin up the heat is that it does speed up the cycle and they can overwhelm the fish if it doesn't work. I don't really understand what it is that actually kills the fish about ich...but I am starting to get worried about my psittacus...they are COVERED in ich....:(

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Those are just the ones you see, it is the ones in the gills that kill by destroying gas exchange tissue according to what I have read.

TaratronVaeVictus

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2005
Peoria, AZ, USA
While there has, to my knowledge, never been deep studies about it, I have had great luck in keeping ich out of my tanks by adding garlic to the foods I feed. Of course, the pellets I feed my fish now contain garlic already....but something to remember for "next time!"

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Anything that keeps the fishes immune response in good condition, clean water, good diet, vitamins, garlic, IMO will help prevent ich outbreaks if your fish are exposed. Nothing except a pristine tank and 100% quarantines can prevent exposure but looking at your healthy tank everyday and immediate treatment of outbreaks will prevent losses to the rare outbreak that might occur.

crazy clowntang

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 20, 2008
virginia
I never Understood how salt can cure ich? I have had saltwater setups before and my saltwater fish have gotten ich. Can anyone explain this? I also got ich in my tank about a day or so ago.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store