Treating Ich

mikehawk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
FL
I decided to stop the ich meds. It was making the water really cloudy, even with 3 30% water changes since Wednesday, and the aro was getting jumpy. I can tell he's starving too. I put some flakes in this morning for the little tankmates, and he actually tried to eat a couple of them. I've got some bait shop minnows in a salt bath right now.

I don't have a heater, but I was using warm water with the water changes and I got the water up to about 82 degrees. I'm just going to stick with that for the rest of the week because I hate looking at either blue water or cloudy water. It's got to be crystal clear to look good.

Thanks guys.

Waldo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2005
Spokane WA
The stress of shipping probably is the cause of the ick in this situation. If you're not guaranteeing your goldfish it's bad ju ju. Fish bred in ponds and such can be bad as birds waiting to scavange for dead fish leave fecal filled with bacteria and potentially worms.

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Just got an outbreak of ich in my 125.....$@#$@#$@!!! Stupid pbass introduced it! Very bitter with him! Now my psittacus have ich......aghhh!! Begin the salt treatment! DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNN!

Apocalypse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2005
TeXXXas
aquatic-terrors.com
Hey Jeremy! Add some aquarium salt at about 1 Tablespoonful/5 US gallons. Be sure to also turn the temperature up to about 82-84 degrees. The ich will disappear in a few short day.

I seriously hate to use meds in my aquarium. The salt will also aid in disease resistance and will help with gill function. Can't go wrong. :D

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
But don't use it for too long right? I've already got the temp up to 82 degrees...lol...i may add another filter and bump it up to 86 though...we shall see. Its spreadin pretty fast...almost all the psittacus have it now........*grumbles*.....my pikes and other fish in there better not get it as well!

Apocalypse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2005
TeXXXas
aquatic-terrors.com
I keep aquarium salt in all my aquariums, Jeremy. :grinyes: ...always.

When I do water changes I guestimate what I removed and add more. The only time I don't add salt is when I am topping off my aquariums.

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
You have salt in there all the time? Doesn't that make it brackish? Interesting. I meant to say heater by the way...hehe. I don't really know how sensative psittacus or pike cichlids are to salt though...:S. I know earth eaters can take it for a limited amount....just not table salt...hehe....

Apocalypse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2005
TeXXXas
aquatic-terrors.com
Peanut_Power said:
You have salt in there all the time? Doesn't that make it brackish? Interesting. I meant to say heater by the way...hehe. I don't really know how sensative psittacus or pike cichlids are to salt though...:S. I know earth eaters can take it for a limited amount....just not table salt...hehe....
Be sure to use Aquarium Salt. I use salt that is intended for SW aquariums. Yes, the water is somewhat brackish.

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
Yeah i got aquarium salt...lol...I'm not completely stupid....:p. I added 24.5 Table Spoons last night, and another 6 Table Spoons today...it recommended 1 TableSpoon per 5 gal......so i upped it up a little bit to get faster results....not to much though...the fish are still lookin fine...no other signs of stress aside from many numerous ich spots....*grumbles*.....the psittacus are the only ones that are VISIBLY showing ich though...its really weird.....:(...my babies are sick!!

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
Peanut_Power said:
Yeah i got aquarium salt...lol...I'm not completely stupid....:p. I added 24.5 Table Spoons last night, and another 6 Table Spoons today...it recommended 1 TableSpoon per 5 gal......so i upped it up a little bit to get faster results....not to much though...the fish are still lookin fine...no other signs of stress aside from many numerous ich spots....*grumbles*.....the psittacus are the only ones that are VISIBLY showing ich though...its really weird.....:(...my babies are sick!!
you don't have a quarentine tank
it might make things easier!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store