Treatment of skinny disease (nematodes). Downloadable PDF

deeboi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2009
pareho
i have no idea what those terms mean or what particular disease they are talking about, but does this sound like an iodine dip? 24 hrs sounds like a long time even for a fish kept in a bucket.

sardesign

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2007
phoenix
aquatic_wonders;3571589; said:
The only thing with it is it's been back ordered they said for almost a year now.
yeah i would love to see an example of this... i have one clown loach that is "skinny" but i don't know if it's just a runt... also, how do you administer these drugs. do you do it in a separate tank? thanks!

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
On the loach forum, the was a guy with a very large, magnificent loach. It had several bouts of "skinny" disease. The owner tried several treatments of levamisole then flubendazole but they had no effect. It was recommended that he try antibiotics but he refused and the fish died.

Treating for parasites is great if and when it causes the disease.

gazelle

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2009
USA
Lupin;2932612; said:
Recommend the LFS to treat the loaches and forward them the article but I doubt the LFS would lift a finger for a bottle of med.
mine would thankfully, he even treated a tank with feeders for some worms they had

Z Rex

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Florida Panhandle
I got some loaches that had skinny disease, they refused to eat the pellets or flakes that fell to the bottom. I harvested snails from my small aquarium and placed them in the loaches tank. Within a week they had eaten all the snails and were looking much fatter.

Laticauda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2010
Central Oklahoma
You treat the whole tank with Levamisole. I bought it from Foy's Pigeon Supply and treated the tank at 1/4 teaspoon per 50 gallons. I tried fenbendazole, but couldn't get the fish to eat food with it, and even when they would, it did not treat the nematodes/worms.

Also, ridding the tank of snails will help prevent the continual spread of the disease. Snails are an intermediate host for certain species of nematodes.

chengwang114

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2009
Queens, NY
Laticauda;4641792; said:
You treat the whole tank with Levamisole. I bought it from Foy's Pigeon Supply and treated the tank at 1/4 teaspoon per 50 gallons.
Just ordered Levamisole powder from Foy's Pigeon Supply.

Wondering 1/4 teaspoon per 50 gallons is the right dosage. The powder contains only 7.5g out of 100g in the container. According to the article on loaches.com (http://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/levamisole-hydrochloride-1), it needs 90mg of 100% Levamisole per 10 gallons in order to reach desired dosage of 2ppm.

Correct me if I am wrong. 1/4 teaspoon is about 1 gram of 7.5/100 concentration = 75mg for 50 gallons?

JonPhillips114

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2011
Alabama
try seachem Metronidazole worked wonderful for me!!!! after 3 or 4 days mixing two scoops in with bloodworms and letting them sit for a few min to get mixed mine seem to be getting better quickly!

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
For some odd reason many people seem to confuse nematodes (which are worms) with endoparasites. Not only are they different forms or pathogens, the medication used to treat them are completely different. Skinny disease is often caused from internal parasites, typically spironucleus, not nematodes.

If your fish are still eating then treating for internal parasites such as spironucleus is relatively easy. See following link for more details.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?339362-Treating-Hexamita-aka-Spironucleus

If you have positively confirmed the presence of nematodes, then certainly follow the advice given in the PDF document in the initial post. Otherwise I would start with an anti-parasitic treatment, then follow up with a deworming agent if that doesn't correct the problem.

Cheers!

Reactions: FIU Panther
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store