Tropheus Questions

andy1985

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2007
London
Hi i am looking to start up my first Tropheus tank the tank dimensions 150 x 60 x 60 cm.
I Have a couple of questions

1.What would be the Max amount of tropheus i could have & could i have few different species?

2. Would my current Fluval FX5 be enough filtration.

3.I currently have Neolamprologus buscherii kamakonde & Golden Occelatus, would these guys still be ok to stay in the tank.

4. Acquiescing i have quiet a bit of slate in there does that stay or go?

5. Is more or less rock better?

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Tropheus like pristine water and are prone to bloat as well as very aggressive. So you basically want to treat them like mbuna, pack as many in as you are comfortable with keeping up on water quality. Feed them a quality pellet like nls to help with bloat as they are vegetarians by nature so you want to avoid meaty foods. They enjoy veggies as treats as well. As for the filter it depends on how many fish you end up with but should be fine, just keep an eye on water quality. Tank mates and decor are debated, some people do and some dont. Just watch for aggression as Trophies are highly active and can stress some fish out. The group I had did fine with lamprologus tank mates. The slate will be up to you. Many go with bare tanks to avoid them setting up territories and being overly aggressive, I had a few pieces of rock in my tank and they did fine. Just keep an eye on aggression and adjust accordingly, you could add more rock to add territories or tare it out to remove territories. Good luck!

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
No, that would be a good number actually and make for beautiful chaos as I like to call it lol. You may have to weed a few out as adults but as long as you can keep up on water quality they would probably be fine for life. If I were you I'd read up on tropheus care as bloat is a serious issue with them. Www.trophs.com is a good resource.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store