Tropheus tank scape, whats best lots or little?

rosslee

Exodon
MFK Member
May 14, 2020
Little dudes are good. They have settled in well and all signs of bloat have gone. I've read so many conflicting views on tank set up and tbh I've gone with what looks OK to my eye. Food wise NLS and some Malawi flakes. Breeding behaviour is full on. In fact they are either eating, sleeping breeding or fighting! Like tiger barbs just 10020210710_143645.jpg

rosslee

Exodon
MFK Member
May 14, 2020
Sorry but another question for you all. So I have 21 dudes, I can see 5 males based on behavior color size, and interactions with the rest of the tank. There could be another 1 or 2 others but currently there too small to tell. I want to end up with about 12 fish, x2 males, and 10/12 females. So I am going to have to remove some of the males.

Question 1: What do I do with the unwanted males, I don't want to kill them, and I am sure the LFS won't want them either - who wants a small group of male tropheus... So any other option?

Question 2: at what size would you say to remove the extra male fish I don't need? Currently, everyone is happy, but should I remove before too much aggression or when aggression starts?

Question 3: When removing the male fish is it best to remove the dominant adult fish or the smaller juvenile fish or something in between.

Question 4: Any tips on when or how to remove the male fish without the balance of the tank changing? Should I rescape after removing? or remove at night? IYO does this help at all.

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
I wouldn't remove them at all because it might cause a collapse of the already established hierarchy.
I know some people keep groups this small but I have never seen them around for long.
The tank is so small that the weaker fish can only hide in the group.

And even given the case you can manage to end up with only two males that don't kill each other, in some months a mature female might still start killing other fish.

rosslee

Exodon
MFK Member
May 14, 2020
I think this is the 2nd time you have mentioned the tank is too small. I have seen so many 75G tanks with what I am looking to start with so I don't feel that this tank is too small for now. When they get bigger I will when needed drop them into one of my 130G tanks. I like my fish to be happy so don't worry about the care given to the dudes they will be pampered a lot. However, your point is not missed on me for the future!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store