TROPHEUS TANK

andy1985

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2007
London
Hi I am looking to start a Tropheus tank.

it would be 4ft by 1ft wide and 18" high.

How many could i fit in the tank.
Also could i have tank mates with them??

malawidave

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2011
Florida
how many tropheus species are you intending? Tropheus are small but very territorial, I personally have 3 lone males in my 125g long and havent had problems so far, (around 60 days) I keep them with pretty much every type of African, so as for tank mates, as long as the tank mates are larger, not too docile, and could keep them in check, there shouldnt be a problem there.

I have, a frontosa, calvus, tropheus, Mbuna, Haps, Peacocks, Vics, Kribs, a Jewel, and Synodontis

a 4 ft tank, I'm not sure if two species would work because of limited distance they could be from each other, I leave this part to someone who keeps them in groups instead of loners like myself

Poklei

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 13, 2009
Las vegas
tropheus mooris are pretty mean, they will always fight with each other if u have groups, if u add other fish they will nip there fins off unless there aggressive also. so tankmates ud need aggressive fish, if u planning to group them u need to grow them out at the same time/size, ive had a group before and i tried adding smaller guys, the bigger guys killed them all

ddaquaria

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2005
A, A
I previously kept all my trophies in 4x2x2 tanks, after finally moving a colony to a 6 footer - you can tell they are happier in their environment. For example, in my 4 footer, if I made a change in the tank then that mean no fry for several months from my namansi reef. After moving the namansi reef to my 6 footer, the female held to term and within 2 weeks I had fry - which means she did not swallow them during the move and was able to acquire a territory rapidly. Also, the chasing does not last as long in the longer tank.

You can get it to work in a 4 footer, but the size of the colony will be about 10 - 13 adults.

1974Pantera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2008
San Carlos, Ca.
Tropheus are very susceptible to bloat so other tank mates will have to eat the same vegetable/spirulina diet.

Willz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2011
Roanoke VA
You shouldn't keep any tropheus in a tank that size. That is a 44 gallon tank. Get a 75 gallon tank (minimum). And I'm sure you'll hear from others that it worked fine for them in a smaller tank, but that's the exception to the rule. If this is your first try on tropheus then do it right. They are too expensive to kill. And they will kill each other off one by one in a tank that small.

Willz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2011
Roanoke VA
I thought this post looked familiar. You asked the same question on another forum a while back and I gave you the same answer:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=231047

Changing forums won't change the correct answer. Do whatever you want, man. Frontosa in a 44 gallon tank with tropheus, you betcha!

Make sure to keep all the forums updated long term on how you do, so others can hopefully learn from your mistakes.

andy1985

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2007
London
thanks Willz. I try move some fish around so i can put them in my 5ft tank which is 2ft wide. i have a flag tail in there, i know they both have same dietry requirements but would the flag tail be ok with them?????

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store