Tropical Gar : The Singapore Order

SmallMonster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2011
Thomson
Schmike;5056771; said:
GOOD NEWS!!!

tried my luck with frozen brine shrimps again after trying tubiflex and it was taking the food off the syringe extension.:D:D:D
however, will it ever regain its full tail again?

it seemed to be exposing the bone :S

Schmike

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Singapore
SmallMonster;5056813; said:
however, will it ever regain its full tail again?

it seemed to be exposing the bone :S
the tail was amputated off. it will never grow back.

the skin will cover up the wound and bone.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Congrats edwin. As far as I know you're the only one from this order that managed to keep the gar alive after infection. Glad to hear its started eating!!

Posted on mobile.monsterfishkeepers.com

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
Very nice guys. Nice to see it's healing up well, Schmike.
I wouldn't say there's no hope in growing it's fins back.

Not a gar, but I had an arowana lose about a third of it's entire length, and all the fins grew back, joined together though.

Mine has grown a bit... Much thicker than the floridas I have of almost the same length.

Schmike

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Singapore
i'm not having high hope of the fin growing back as its entire caudal region was infected including its dorsal fin.

if you look at the initial condition of this gar as above, you can see that the caudal and dorsal fins are dead and the live area of the fish is very far off from the dorsal fin. now that amputated area is covering up by new skin. i doubt there is any chance of any fins growing out from there.

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Schmike;5056876; said:
it's not me keeping it alive. it's the gar's strong will to live that is keeping it alive. :)
Thats the internal factor, it would still require external factor [which is you] to help it overcome the infection.

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
Schmike;5057079; said:
i'm not having high hope of the fin growing back as its entire caudal region was infected including its dorsal fin.

if you look at the initial condition of this gar as above, you can see that the caudal and dorsal fins are dead and the live area of the fish is very far off from the dorsal fin. now that amputated area is covering up by new skin. i doubt there is any chance of any fins growing out from there.
Well, fingers crossed.:)

Schmike

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Singapore
Spiritofthesoul;5057080; said:
Thats the internal factor, it would still require external factor [which is you] to help it overcome the infection.
seriously, there was no infection at the amputated area at all. all I had to do after the amputation was to get it out of the water and apply the antiseptic lotion to the wound with a cotton bud daily and maintain clean water to prevent infection. surprisingly, only the caudal region was affected by the bacteria.

without the help of others, I may not be able to save this strong little fella too. :)

channarox;5057082; said:
Well, fingers crossed.:)
if the fin can grow back, it will be better for it. see how it goes.

SmallMonster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2011
Thomson
Thanks to Alex's persuasion over the few occasions and me pondering how will my tpg fit in my current 4feet, I called up N30 for a quotation for a 633 :D

And there is silly me trying to sell my 1 day old Ehiem 2080 on all the forums I could post on.

let's see if I can get them anyway. Figured if I sold everything I have now, could raise about 1k.

Plus selling off that giant Panaque I have, should raise 2+k. Then add in 2-3months NS pay, should be enough :D

But before that, need ask my parents for a space in my never-utilised living hall. Its been 7 years and I only sat there less than 5 times -.-

is there anyone who have cheap "lobang"/recommendations for big tanks? Will need one with cabinet though.

-----

About my gars, the colors are getting better but I'm going for size for now :p wish it adds another inch with 1 week :D

Will update when I book out of camp again!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store