Troublesome Scat chasing my archers

Goanna

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2008
Staten Island NY
My Scat has been causing some trouble lately.

My friend picked me up two large archers, and since I added them to my tank my Scat has been chasing them around like crazy.

He doesn't bother anything else in the tank, even the little FW blenny, only the Archers.

He was in there for at least a week before I got the archers, so I guess this could be territorial.

I'd like to keep him, as he ads life and color to the tank, as most of my other fish are all silver or brown, and not very active.

Normally, I would tell someone else to isolate the problem fish, and then rearrange all the decorations in the tank, and then re-introduce him. However, my tank has a foam/cement background and everything is locked in place, so i cant even follow my own advice, lol.

I tried isolating him in a breeder container for about an hour, but as soon as i let him back out he went right back to chasing the archers.

What if I were to get another scat? Would they then pair off and bother each other? Or would I need a group of 3-5 of them for that technique to be effective?

bromie88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2008
Liverpool, England
try removing it for a while. when re introduced it may think that its now in the archers tank, rather than the archers being in his/her tank. it can work with other fish... so its worth a shot.

Goanna

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2008
Staten Island NY
bromie88;3168891; said:
try removing it for a while. when re introduced it may think that its now in the archers tank, rather than the archers being in his/her tank. it can work with other fish... so its worth a shot.
I dont have another tank I can set him up in to separate him. I guess I can throw him in a bucket overnight with an air stone and some gravel from the tank.

bromie88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2008
Liverpool, England
Goanna;3169091; said:
I dont have another tank I can set him up in to separate him. I guess I can throw him in a bucket overnight with an air stone and some gravel from the tank.
try it... just let us know how you get on...

DragonScales

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
Water Cave
Get on craigslist and find a deal for you second tank. What kind of scat is this? what size tank? some scats are just plain aggressive.

xspainx69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2007
Queens,NY
Its the same thing with my Mono and the Archer, its like a life long feud. Mono's have a thing with Archers.....and then every once in a while the Scat joins the hunt and then they both pester the Archer, but then once in a while the Mono wants solo on the Archer and then the Scat and the Mono go at it briefly...:ROFL:

Its called "Tank Boredom Syndrome" when fish get bored, they pester one another until feeding time lol

SalmonAfrica

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2008
South Africa
I'd just suggest adding more Scats to the tank. I never had a problem with my school of scats, however when I kept one by himself he dominated the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store