Trout Tank

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
BrookKeeper BrookKeeper sorry my native vs. wild thing was a little confusing. In PA we have three different classifications of trout- native trout which obviously have always been there naturally reproducing and what not, wild trout which were stocked at some point but naturally reproduce in the wild and then everyone's favorite the stockie. The reason I mentioned the wild trout is I've caught/seen pictures of wild brownies, bows, and brookies and usually their coloration is close to a native fish but theres always something goofy thrown in. I was just wondering if that is where the orange dots occured but I have a feeling it is just the coloration of your regions brookies. All the brookies stocked, wild, or native in Tioga and Potter county PA have had the blue halo. I am glad to read you only run a 1/3 hp and it is more than enough. I was looking at whatever the next size up wondering if that would be enough. I hate how those things are a fortune and everyone selling them used around me thinks they're worth an arm and leg and don't depreciate.
I gotcha on the wild/native thing, I just didn't expect you were drawing that distinction. I am still not used to how AWESOME this forum is! To answer that question more directly, they are ALMOST purely native, although genetic analysis of the stream shows a small amount of hatchery influence. There aren't many places that you don't get some mud in the blood... stocking has been going on so long and true native populations have been so thoroughly insulted by warming temperatures.

As for the chiller, you just have to stalk Craigslist constantly! I looked for about a year before I found mine, and I bought it and had it sitting around for another year before I was ready to use it. Keep an eye peeled, and one will pop up. I will start checking around here again from time to time. Something like that is worth a road trip, mine was only an hour away, but I drove 3 hours to Maryland for my tank, 125 gallon with stand and a ton of other junk for $300 - dude was switching hobbies to expand his beer brewing, and sent me home with some nice home brews as well.

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I'm really interested in what you have to say, so keep posting.....make it as long as necessary/desired :)
Thanks, xraycer. I can't say enough times how much I like this forum. If you really are interesting in a bunch of boring crap I have to say... here is a link to my thesis on my advisors website (that I also designed and maintain...) Two years worth of what I know about brook trout housing and their social interactions... You may find the swim tube interesting, most people do...

https://sites.google.com/site/clmayjmu/snow-thesis

Reactions: warmouth

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
BrookKeeper BrookKeeper is that just for a biology degree or did you have a concentration in fisheries?

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
BrookKeeper BrookKeeper is that just for a biology degree or did you have a concentration in fisheries?
The long answer (which is apparently my style here..) is: I moved from NH to VA for my undergraduate at James Madison University and then settled into Harrisonburg (where JMU is) after my BS, got married, bought a house, set up a fish tank, you know... Six years later I decided to go the easy route and returned to my alma mater for my MS. JMU does not offer a master more specific than Biology, but I focused my studies in aquatic ecology and did as much volunteer and outreach in fisheries as possible. Habitat is sort of my thing, which is why I love building aquaria so much. It has been said (not by me, but by others who are more familiar with both programs) that I likely have a better education and background for fisheries having taken the path that I did than I would have received if I had gone to VA Tech for a masters in fisheries science. I am perfectly happy with it also, because I have a more rounded experience allowing a broader range of opertunities than being strictly fisheries focused, as recent government cut backs have reduced the number of fisheries positions available. JMU has been happy to keep me employed, whereas I feel that VA Tech would have bounced me out on my butt by now. If anyone out there reading this is or knows anyone considering college in the mid Atlantic, I would strongly encourage a visit to JMU. I can't say enough about the community as a whole, and there are some amazing faculty in the sciences. I have great contacts in the departments of Biology, ISAT, and Geology. Not to mention the JMU girls are second to none (my wife and I met as freshmen, not trying to be a creepy proffesor or anything).

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
If you don't mind me asking Kyle, where in NH wereare you from?

I'm in Pelham

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I knew I had seen someone on here in NH. Born in Concord, moved to Hollis when I was 6 or so, then left for VA immediately after high school in 2002. I have a large extended family, mostly scattered around NH, I am one of the few to branch out (at least beyond college). Needless to say, I still get up there from time to time. Just spent a week on Newfound Lake with the immediate family. I miss it sometimes, but the Shenandoah Valley beautiful, and I always remember why I am here when I return to VA from travel in any direction.

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Thought I would throw this in there... 15 seconds of a the 10 minute video I posted a screenshot of earlier. Partially just to figure out what I can do in a post...

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Thought I would throw this in there... 15 seconds of a the 10 minute video I posted a screenshot of earlier. Partially just to figure out what I can do in a post...

Cool video? Do you happen to be on the NANFA forum? I thought I recognized that video from a thread on their site as well, maybe a different Brookie video though.

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I'm not on NANFA forum, but I did shoot this video with a friend, he might be on there and certainly could have shared it. Or, maybe just an inferior video you recall! The full length is pretty awesome, but too big to post.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store