Trout Tank

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
That's your fish?! I thought P. rex was listed as federally endangered?
haha, it is my fish, but it isn't P. rex... just wanted to see if anyone would get excited about it...

It is a Percina, and I was collected just upstream from a location where we caught (and very carefully released) a P. rex... care to take another guess with that information, Dive?

PUHUCBLMX2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2013
Costa Rica
Any idea on how well brook trout mix with other species of trout? for example how would they do with rainbow or bull or brown, etc?

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Any idea on how well brook trout mix with other species of trout? for example how would they do with rainbow or bull or brown, etc?
I avoided this investigation, somewhat against the request of my advisor to include interspecific competition with rainbow trout. We had about 25 hatchery rainbows in the lab as well, but they were much bigger and the size difference was too much for me. My prediction, however, is that they would be more aggressive in a mixed community. They do overlap with stocked and wild spawning rainbows and browns in many streams around here, but their numbers are much stronger where they are the only salmonid present. That might be my next tank, when these trout do eventually run their course, I have thought about growing out some rainbow, brown, and brook fry and see how they interact.

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
I avoided this investigation, somewhat against the request of my advisor to include interspecific competition with rainbow trout. We had about 25 hatchery rainbows in the lab as well, but they were much bigger and the size difference was too much for me. My prediction, however, is that they would be more aggressive in a mixed community. They do overlap with stocked and wild spawning rainbows and browns in many streams around here, but their numbers are much stronger where they are the only salmonid present. That might be my next tank, when these trout do eventually run their course, I have thought about growing out some rainbow, brown, and brook fry and see how they interact.
That should be interesting I'd be interested to see what species dominates between the three

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
okay, Dive, I guess you didn't appreciate my false claim of owning an endangered species... but this guy is actually a Roanoke Darter (Percina roanoka), not P. rex. I figured I was pretty safe, since the two look nothing alike.
Sorry, didn't see this until now, I think it'd be awesome to own one as long as you keep it secret lol. It is a beautiful darter either way!

ichthusfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2011
southkorea,seoul/Texas
Used to keep a school of 8 Oncorhynchus masou though one died shortly after....they only get to 30cms and plus a native from a area. also kept a Salvelinus malma that took me a while to attain but sadly died during a power failure....
rainbows were always too viciouse for my taste

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Used to keep a school of 8 Oncorhynchus masou though one died shortly after....they only get to 30cms and plus a native from a area. also kept a Salvelinus malma that took me a while to attain but sadly died during a power failure....
I would love to see photos of your tank if you still have any.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
How... the heck... did you... get a Dolly Varden?!?!?!?! They're tied for my all time favorite fish (in general and species I want to keep) with Brook and Lake Trout. I'd love to get one if I knew how to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store