Trout Tank

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Great fish, best of the Redbellies in my opinion :). Maybe they'll spawn for you if they're coloring up.
Thanks, Dive. It would be cool if they spawned, but I doubt there would be any survival given the rest of my stock... And I only have two redbellies as of now, not sure on their gender, but they do seem to get "playful" with one another from time to time, although it is hard to tell if they are male/female courting or male/male arguing over non-existent females... Either way, this is one of my favorite species from around here! I hope to collect more this fall, and have a little shoal of them. I am not sure I need more of anything else in this tank, but more redbellies are a must! Maybe a few more darters, I would really love some candies...

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I have always been too lazy to come up with a complete stock list, but my thread has been quiet long enough, and I haven't taken any new photos or videos lately... so here you go.

2 - Clinostomus funduloides - Mountain Redbelly Dace
4 - Chrosomus oreas - Rosyside Dace
2 - Luxilus albeolus - White Shiner
5 - Rhinichthys atratulus - Blacknose Dace
3 - Semotilus atromaculatus - Creek Chub
3 - Noturus insignus - Margined Madtom
4 - Salvelinus fontinalis - Brook Trout
1 - Cottus bairdi - Mottled Sculpin
4 - Etheostoma flabilare - Fantail Darter
1 - Percina roanoka - Roanoke Darter

Finally, it is written down somewhere...

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I have always been too lazy to come up with a complete stock list, but my thread has been quiet long enough, and I haven't taken any new photos or videos lately... so here you go.

2 - Clinostomus funduloides - Mountain Redbelly Dace
4 - Chrosomus oreas - Rosyside Dace
2 - Luxilus albeolus - White Shiner
5 - Rhinichthys atratulus - Blacknose Dace
3 - Semotilus atromaculatus - Creek Chub
3 - Noturus insignus - Margined Madtom
4 - Salvelinus fontinalis - Brook Trout
1 - Cottus bairdi - Mottled Sculpin
4 - Etheostoma flabilare - Fantail Darter
1 - Percina roanoka - Roanoke Darter

Finally, it is written down somewhere...
That's a great stock list! I'm still suprised that those brookies don't eat everything else haha.

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
That's a great stock list! I'm still suprised that those brookies don't eat everything else haha.
Thanks, Dive! I try to keep the brookies fat and happy, and there is a good bit of habitat in there for the smaller guys... The blacknose all hang out in a rock pile in one corner, the darters are spread out in low hides throughout, and I carved out the bottom of the root wad with a chain saw to make a cave system that the madtoms rule (no surprise there).

Here's the chunk of locust root trimmed down to fit in the tank, it has a big slab of rock resting on the low side to make a nice dark shelf.

20141110_180509.jpg

Here is the underside, kind of hard to get the perspective with the lighting in the photo if you don't know what you are looking at... But the channels are about 3" deep, and all three madtoms hang out somewhere within.

20141110_174923.jpg

julnj2

Candiru
MFK Member
May 25, 2005
Tampa Bay, FL
After a lot of searching on other forums, I have finally found a place where there is talk of trout/cold water species keeping here. It seems like all the threads are old and outdated, but perhaps this will be my new home.

Does anyone on here have any experience keeping trout? I have a 125 gallon with a 30 gallon sump and a chiller, with brook trout and a load of minnows.

Anyone want to be my friend?View attachment 1131893 View attachment 1131896
Very cool post! Have you ever looked here? http://forum.nanfa.org/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store