Trout Tank

Chasmodes

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Maryland
I like the stocking list. I'm doing a 75g build for darters, cyprinids, etc. I'd like to have a sculpin, but since I'd like to feature darters the most, I fear that the sculpin would have too many darter meals. My planned list for now includes fantail, rainbow, greenside and tesselated darters. I'll take whatever cyprinids that I can catch, but I'd really like to have some healthy satinfins shiners in there.

I have, but thanks for the heads up! I created an account there not too long after starting this thread, but I didn't find much for other trout keepers there either. That forum seems less active, but at some point I plan to jump in with a new thread there as well.
There are lots of us who keep the other species on your list though. As far as trout keeping though, you could be a trendsetter there. Either way, I'll follow your threads here and/or there. I love both forums in general. Lots of cool ideas can be found here, not just in the way we keep native species.

Another thing that I love about MFKs is that I can check out all of the cool species and tanks that I logistically couldn't set up. Many of these builds produce ideas that all of us could possibly benefit from....and I ramble on, sorry.

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I like the stocking list. I'm doing a 75g build for darters, cyprinids, etc. I'd like to have a sculpin, but since I'd like to feature darters the most, I fear that the sculpin would have too many darter meals. My planned list for now includes fantail, rainbow, greenside and tesselated darters. I'll take whatever cyprinids that I can catch, but I'd really like to have some healthy satinfins shiners in there.

There are lots of us who keep the other species on your list though. As far as trout keeping though, you could be a trendsetter there. Either way, I'll follow your threads here and/or there. I love both forums in general. Lots of cool ideas can be found here, not just in the way we keep native species.

Another thing that I love about MFKs is that I can check out all of the cool species and tanks that I logistically couldn't set up. Many of these builds produce ideas that all of us could possibly benefit from....and I ramble on, sorry.
I appreciate the rambling... I think NANFA is probably a better resource for real fisheries knowledge, from what I have seen. I know some serious ichthyologists who are members there.

Chasmodes

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Maryland
...and some pretty good aquarists too. Of course, we frequent places like this and other forums because you can't have too much knowledge of the hobby! At least I can't!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
...and some pretty good aquarists too. Of course, we frequent places like this and other forums because you can't have too much knowledge of the hobby! At least I can't!
Yeah nanfa has some pretty esteemed member and there's plenty of knowledge there too. Makes me glad to be a member :)

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA

That's a nice list of darters :). I'm doing the same thing with a 75 hopefully within the next 7-10 days. Although my list will consist of Rainbows, Variegates, Greensides, Bandeds, Bluebreasts, and Tippecanoes.

I agree we need more trout keepers on the NANFA forum too, I need to find myself a good chiller lol.

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
That's a nice list of darters :). I'm doing the same thing with a 75 hopefully within the next 7-10 days. Although my list will consist of Rainbows, Variegates, Greensides, Bandeds, Bluebreasts, and Tippecanoes.

I agree we need more trout keepers on the NANFA forum too, I need to find myself a good chiller lol.
Well, I joined a few weeks ago, but I made my debut post today, so you officially have one more trout keeper on the NANFA forum... I got my chiller on Craigslist almost 2 years ago, and I haven't seen another since...

Chasmodes

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Maryland
Sean, I'm sticking with what I can find in the Potomac drainage, simply because that is the biotope that I want to have, and no other reason. That said, I will certainly envy you when you set that tank up and complete filling that stock list. Those are some beautiful darter species for sure. I will have to live through you...until I get the urge to set up another tank!

I have a 10 gallon almost new set up...I may keep a species only sculpin tank. My plan was to use it as a quarantine tank or to raise snails for darter food.

Sorry for the hijack BrookKeeper...looking forward to future updates. Any nice sampling pics that you take would also be appreciated. BTW, I fished the Rapidan and similar waters many years ago for CP&R brookies. That's a good 2 hour drive for me easy, so what was the attraction? Serenity, yes, but most of all, the beauty of brook trout in the fall. Wow they are pretty.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Sean, I'm sticking with what I can find in the Potomac drainage, simply because that is the biotope that I want to have, and no other reason. That said, I will certainly envy you when you set that tank up and complete filling that stock list. Those are some beautiful darter species for sure. I will have to live through you...until I get the urge to set up another tank!

I have a 10 gallon almost new set up...I may keep a species only sculpin tank. My plan was to use it as a quarantine tank or to raise snails for darter food.

Sorry for the hijack BrookKeeper...looking forward to future updates. Any nice sampling pics that you take would also be appreciated. BTW, I fished the Rapidan and similar waters many years ago for CP&R brookies. That's a good 2 hour drive for me easy, so what was the attraction? Serenity, yes, but most of all, the beauty of brook trout in the fall. Wow they are pretty.
Haha thanks, I'm lucky enough to have all those darters plus another dozen species in my home watershed. A sculpin tank would be cool, be sure to post about it if you set it up!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store