Trout Tank

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
BrookKeeper to follow up from one of our conversations earlier pertaining to the color of the brookies you have compared to PA did manage to get one worth taking a picture of the pattern of. It's crazy how different regions with the same fish can have so many different visual attrtibutes

image.jpg

image.jpg

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
BrookKeeper to follow up from one of our conversations earlier pertaining to the color of the brookies you have compared to PA did manage to get one worth taking a picture of the pattern of. It's crazy how different regions with the same fish can have so many different visual attrtibutes

View attachment 1138429

View attachment 1138430
Nice fish, fatboy! How long? I am guessing over 12"? The population I collected from does have the yellow/orange belly in the wild, that muted out almost immediately when I got them into captivity (suggesting that it is not a deitary difficiency, but rather a behavioral response). Even in the wild, however, this population lacks in the blue halo that I love so much... Maybe I just haven't seen enough of the bigger fish in that stream, good excuse to head down and chuck some flies soon.

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Nice fish, fatboy! How long? I am guessing over 12"? The population I collected from does have the yellow/orange belly in the wild, that muted out almost immediately when I got them into captivity (suggesting that it is not a deitary difficiency, but rather a behavioral response). Even in the wild, however, this population lacks in the blue halo that I love so much... Maybe I just haven't seen enough of the bigger fish in that stream, good excuse to head down and chuck some flies soon.
Yeah I didn't measure it but I would eye ball it over 12" but less than 14". I know for most native streams I fish this is the largest I've ever caught with most in the 5-8" range. But that's crazy the orange belly immediately seized once in captivity. I'd be curious to see if a stockie would keep its color but their color varies so much at the hatcheries. I've caught the ones with no Orange on them to ones that almost look native

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Harassed a madtom this afternoon with flash photography, he actually came to the opening of the cave to see what was going on! It is a little hard to say, but I think that he might have a bit of a belly on him...2015-09-06 15.35.05.jpg

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
That's sick man I've had all 3 trouts farm raised brooks Browns and rainbows. They were awesome kept them unheated and they did great. Awesome fish might try and do a brown in my 300 next year or so. Browns and brooks were my favorite by far I like brookies a lot but being char they don't tolerate those temps very well

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
That's sick man I've had all 3 trouts farm raised brooks Browns and rainbows. They were awesome kept them unheated and they did great. Awesome fish might try and do a brown in my 300 next year or so. Browns and brooks were my favorite by far I like brookies a lot but being char they don't tolerate those temps very well
Yea, I wouldn't recommend any salmonid without proper cooling, but that isn't to say that they can't survive without it. I guess it just depends on your climate and how long you plan to keep them. The way I see it, if you are going to ask a fish to adjust to and aquarium environment, you ought not push them on any other environmental tolerance. A sustained temperature of 65*F is as high as I would go, even short spikes above that would be too much in my opinion.

Reactions: crenicichla444

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Yea, I wouldn't recommend any salmonid without proper cooling, but that isn't to say that they can't survive without it. I guess it just depends on your climate and how long you plan to keep them. The way I see it, if you are going to ask a fish to adjust to and aquarium environment, you ought not push them on any other environmental tolerance. A sustained temperature of 65*F is as high as I would go, even short spikes above that would be too much in my opinion.
Yep I'm in Michigan which is pretty up north so un heated in my basement gets a max of 67f in the summer and high 40s to mid 50s in the winter which was cool with even the brooks although I kept a few upstairs even in the summer and they were cool with that. I found that the aeration current and clean clean water was the most important in maintaining them not temp as much but like u said I wouldn't recommend it either especially not for beginners

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store