Trout

simple man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2006
colorado
I know i cant afford one right now but i was just wondering if anybody has kept trout in their aquariums? Also a estimate on the cost for keeping one with the water cooler and what ever else is needed. Thanks

OhNoBarracuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
atlanta
umm id say about 3k on the low end but i mean think about it. Youre gonna need a huge tank. lots of powerheads(well i guess that depeneds on specias). and plus the chiller that will keep the tank at 54-65. my house is at a steady 72 degrees, i dont know what your situation is but it takes lots of power to cool something like that. If this ever becomes a reality your're best bet is a pond

Pink-Floyd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2006
Saint Augustine
Nope I have not had a trout in my aquarium.
It would probably have to have a chiller (search for a diy chiller)
Mimic a river ecosystem.
The juice is not worth the squeeze
probably have a school of trout too.
No eating the trout either, ornamental or food??.
I remember a video game my cousin played on thanksgiving where you caught fish and could have an aquarium show room, pretty cool too.

BiG~O

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2006
nj
I think keeping trount in aquaria could be possible. i would stick to a smaller species like brook trout. The most expensive equipment would be a huge chiller. Trout like their water cold, and you would have to provide them with alot or current/water movement. i think if you put a large bulkhead in either SIDE of the tank, you could setup a monster canister filter as well as your chiller u/v sterilizer ect. powered by a MONSTER external pump you could achieve a river-like effect, where the water has a strong uni-directional flow ---------->. you could then arrange piles of river rock in front of the output creating a riffle which your trout would utilize just as they do in the wild.This would be an awesome biotope setup!!! Im sure it has been done before.

fisher12889

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Colorado
Nope I have not had a trout in my aquarium.
It would probably have to have a chiller (search for a diy chiller)
Mimic a river ecosystem.
The juice is not worth the squeeze
probably have a school of trout too.
No eating the trout either, ornamental or food??.
I remember a video game my cousin played on thanksgiving where you caught fish and could have an aquarium show room, pretty cool too.
I think the game your talking about is Reel Fishing, its a fun game, you can fish for alot of different species, many of them natives, and there are three tanks in Reel Fishing 2 (there are three different versions of the game)

bermuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
Colorado
colorado, simple man? ever been to ocean journey? they've got a mean colorado river valley ecosystem set up. a nice place to go for inspiration. but yes, cold water, strong current, etc.

speaking of trout, just got back from camping last night. yum, rainbow... ;) and the cutthroat are crazy this year...

simple man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2006
colorado
Fisher to bad we cant keep some brookies for a nice trout tank....... One of us needs to get rich so we can get a real nice tank with a chiller and the whole nine yards. Talk about a nice tank for the living room!!!!!!!!!

fisher12889

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Colorado
Ya I would want like a 10'x3' tank though, w/ some nice big rocks and some heavy current. I can make a homemade chiller for much cheaper than a store bought one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store