Trying out a new thing

Scrappy71113

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
Last year I discovered a color changing background and decided that I absolutely wanted it for my goldfish tank.
Well, my birthday is this weekend, and I got myself a little birthday present, and it arrived over a week early!

I'll post up some before and after pictures once I get it all set up (hopefully this weekend)
I'm super excited about this! ?

I've not found any reviews on it yet, so it's kind of an experiment for me. Wish me luck!

20210706_163655.jpg

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Scrappy71113 Scrappy71113 were you able to get this project going? Am curious about the result

Scrappy71113

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
Promised update.
Just got done attaching my new background. So far, it seems pretty good.
It tapes on, and you have to cut to fit.
If you're short on patience, I suggest getting a helper to hold it while you tape it on or attach it to the tank while it is empty and laying down. It's kind of thick and wants to stay rolled up untill you need it to stay rolled up.
I cut it to size by taping it to the front and using a razor blade to cut.
It is slightly see through, so I do need to mount my cables and air hoses to the wall or they interfere with the effect.
If you need to remove tape from the background, do NOT remove it from the edge in. The background is a smooth layer and a textured layer and the tape will pull them apart, so remove it from the inside out.

The led light is a USB and comes with an adapter for a plug in. Down side, the adapter is necessary. I'll cover that in a bit.
It also comes with two mounting options, brackets and suction cups. I used the suction cups for now, but I plan on moving this tank, and when I do, I'll center up the light and use the brackets. The suction cups seem to be doing their job so far. So no complaints. The brackets come with adhesive already attached, so you just have to figure out where they need to go and attach them.
The light bar itself is a slightly flexible plastic, so its not going to break if you drop it. Being the clumsy thing that I am, this is definitely a plus.

Now for the adapter:
It does come with a remote to control the settings. The adapter is the remote receiver, so it will need to be mounted somewhere reachable. There is no on/off switch on the light itself. Definitely a con for me as the remote is small and I tend to lose things.

As far as the effects, it is visible in full light. The below pictures showes it with both the room light and aquarium lights on. However, it does look best with all of the surrounding lights off and I may need to adjust the angle of the light bar.
I haven't cycled through all of the settings just yet, but it is something I plan on trying.

so far I'm happy with.
overall, on a scale of 1 to 5, I'd say that installation is a 3 simply because it was me by myself working around equipment.
looks is a 4 because it is cool, but I may need to work on getting the angle of the light right.
overall quality and durability would have to be a 5 simply because the light bar is shatter resistant, so it's scrappy proof lol.
My overall impression is a 4.
I'd love to give it a five simply because I have been wanting to get this thing on my tank for so long, but I need to be honest.
I'll update if anything changes over time.

as for the box of rocks pictured in my first post, I have yet to get those in my tank.
I didn't mention it, but they are artificial.
I'm hoping life slows down soon and I can get back to doing what I love and living arm deep in my tanks. As soon as I get those rocks in the tank, I'll post another update.

20210929_205353.jpg

1632968555707662238469899621315.jpg

1632968586879666899493142859314.jpg

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store