trying to breed jack dempseys

Apollyeon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
female only acts lethargic and gets pale if in a tank just her and the male,ive watched the interactions and from looks of it he just kinda nudges her here n there but she wants no part of it and only swims away.if i put her in my aggressive ca community tank shes fine,she actually darkens and holds her own against the toughest in there.so far things ive tried have been making water changes more frequent,raising the temp to the proper spawning temp,feeding more foods like bloodworms.nothing works lol hes very interested in her but seems she cant stand him,idk why.there was one time they kinda were going through the breeding ritual and then something happened where she just started the whole lethargic sitting in a corner thing all over again.he leaves her alone for the most part,few times he'll approach and display which she never responds

Apollyeon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
Sometimes the bond between a pair can be broken.
they have never officially paired,they have been just two jacks in the same tank.im holding out hope that they do eventually pair but idk why she acts like this around him..its really strange,,if i put a divider up shes more comfortable but still wants to sit next to him on either side of it..its really weird.like shes ok with him as long as she gets to choose when they interact,picky fish for sure.pulling out all the stops on this,trying different things.never had a fish that refused to pair up.i have a pair of red devils and a new pair of flowerhorns and nowhere near this much trouble lol

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
Any additional information you can share? Pics?

Is the female larger than the male?

Size of tank?

Generally JD should be as easy to spawn as your red devils and flower horns. I'm sure we can figure it out :).

I'll be if you put another female in there, we'd see some action :)

Reactions: tlindsey

Apollyeon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
male is about an inch bigger than female,they are in a 100 gallon atm with a few other fish/dithers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store