Trying to breed Opaline Gouramis

Bbg81018

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2018
My opaline gouramis are in a 55 gallon commuity right now and have been trying to breed but it seems that every night the bubble nest gets destroyed. The male seems the guard the area where the nest was but the female stays at the bottom of the tank... Any advice? Very new to breeding

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My opaline gouramis are in a 55 gallon commuity right now and have been trying to breed but it seems that every night the bubble nest gets destroyed. The male seems the guard the area where the nest was but the female stays at the bottom of the tank... Any advice? Very new to breeding

Probably will have more success if you put the male in a aquarium of its own and after he builds the nest then introduce the female.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When almost any male anabantoid starts building a bubble nest, it is best to turn off air stones and any filters simulating the start of the dry season, and haveno other fish in the tank . Once the nesti s built put the well fed and conditioned female in. I used low pH, warm rain water with my female anabantions.Drop her in, when eggs are in the nest, remove her if possible (wait until she move to the opposite end of the tank, to create least disturbance.

Reactions: tlindsey

Bbg81018

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2018
1557647749983.png1557647788482.png
can you guys sex these two, at the moment i believe The first one is a female and the second is a male(they are a little dull as they had been moved into a separate tank to breed just and hour before as you guy said would be best!)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store