trying to figure out the overflow dilemma...

Gar88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
INDIA
hey all.... i am new to the DIY and sump thing... so i built this 100g tank, at the time my only concern was WC, thus i got a 3/4" hole drilled for the side panel at the bottom to make life ez for me.... after looking into the designs and the cool setups the bug bit me and i wanted to start doin the sump for ma tank :D...

so i had this 10g tank turned into a sump... with all media set and ready to go with the pump and all.... now i cant seem to figure out the overflow:confused:.... as per the suggestion in some threads in the filter section got the overflow done with a 1' pipe setup.... somehow it wasnt working for me... so i decided to use the hole which has a bulkhead fit in...

if any of you would be kind enuf to lead me in the direction would be great... as this thing is bugging the hell outta me... thanksIMG-20120112-00142.jpg

IMG-20120112-00142.jpg

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
The 3/4" hole in the 100G isn't going to give you much flow. You'll have to have a pretty small pump. If you want anything more than 200-300gph, you will have to go with a different style of overflow.

Gar88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
INDIA
The 3/4" hole in the 100G isn't going to give you much flow. You'll have to have a pretty small pump. If you want anything more than 200-300gph, you will have to go with a different style of overflow.
Hey Bobby,

thanks for the reply.... so whats my alternative?.... i did do one thing this eve i fixed an over flow... but was not finished yet... got to try and get something to be fixed in rite... for now i have managed to get this drawing of what i have done... not functional yet... what do you think?

for other alternative which i tried in vain was this pic for one of the DIY threads... i couldnt manage to keep the pipe straight.... it was mess and too much stress on the fish so i gave up on this...

overflow.JPG

Dane

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2010
Ohio
To keep the KISS method. I would have your WC hole drilled out bigger and use it to create a good overflow. Change to a 1 1/2 bulkhead and a 90 and run the pipe to the top to form the overflow. If that is not an option check out the link in my sig line.

Gar88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
INDIA
To keep the KISS method. I would have your WC hole drilled out bigger and use it to create a good overflow. Change to a 1 1/2 bulkhead and a 90 and run the pipe to the top to form the overflow. If that is not an option check out the link in my sig line.
thanks Dane.... drilling is outta da q... for now i have done a overhead sump which is asethically no good but i care less as long as i have good filteration...
IMG-20120206-00369.jpg
so this was the quickest fix i could get :)... but definitively want to get the sump going with overflow system.... opened your thread... the first post has pics cannot be opened... could upload them if you still have it....

IMG-20120206-00369.jpg

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Get a 2 3/8" diamond hole saw. Use it to drill a hole in a 1/4" piece of plywood. Mount the plywood over your 3/4" hole to use it as a guide to drill a 2 3/8" hole in the tank.

A 2 3/8" hole will fit a bulkhead for a 1 1/2" pipe. You might not need to use the whole 1 1/2" BUT it will be there if you ever need to! I would put a reducer fitting in and start with 1" pipe.

I am using a siphon overflow pipe like you show in your second picture. It is working but a pain to deal with and I don't care for the looks of it at all. I just received a 2 3/8" diamond hole saw and 3 x 1 1/2" bulkheads from glass-holes.com - nice people and competitive prices on hole saws and bulkheads. I like that I could buy both from the same place and not be overcharged for either.

BTW: Nice looking tank!

Gar88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
INDIA
Get a 2 3/8" diamond hole saw. Use it to drill a hole in a 1/4" piece of plywood. Mount the plywood over your 3/4" hole to use it as a guide to drill a 2 3/8" hole in the tank.

A 2 3/8" hole will fit a bulkhead for a 1 1/2" pipe. You might not need to use the whole 1 1/2" BUT it will be there if you ever need to! I would put a reducer fitting in and start with 1" pipe.

I am using a siphon overflow pipe like you show in your second picture. It is working but a pain to deal with and I don't care for the looks of it at all. I just received a 2 3/8" diamond hole saw and 3 x 1 1/2" bulkheads from glass-holes.com - nice people and competitive prices on hole saws and bulkheads. I like that I could buy both from the same place and not be overcharged for either.

BTW: Nice looking tank!
Thanks Michael.... was contemplating buying a hole saw.... its just that its expensive for ma liking as i have other projects lined up, so that will have to wait... for now its been 5 days since this overhead filter is running and i am pretty happy with it and the bulkhead just makes my WC that much more easier.... once i finish my other tank i think i will have to see if the glass guys can drill a hole for me.... then i can directly have the overflow sorted...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store