TSN ID Chart- Pseudoplatystoma

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
In an attempt to find that original pic I did stumble on a similar looking specimen with location info. This was caught in Rio Amazonas and they described it as Pseudoplatystoma Tigrinum from Santarem, Brazil

View attachment 1334599
Very nice, thanks for diggin up some more info. p. tigrinum it is then lol... head shape was throwin me off a bit as tigs are usually more "duckbill". id imagine like any other fish theres variance in collection point/location/river. that pattern sure is nice tho and pretty consistent with other tigrinum.. shame all we see in the trade is deformed farmies. id love a true tig and corruscans.

D native

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2018
upload_2018-11-28_21-5-31.jpeg
Here is a picture of my TSN. I’m sure he is a great example of farm bred hybrid. Notice the roundness of the head. I’ve had this guy for 2 years now & when I purchased him from LFS he was about 2 1/2 inches long (was still young enough skin was transparent ) since then he has grown to 18 inches

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
View attachment 1346650
Here is a picture of my TSN. I’m sure he is a great example of farm bred hybrid. Notice the roundness of the head. I’ve had this guy for 2 years now & when I purchased him from LFS he was about 2 1/2 inches long (was still young enough skin was transparent ) since then he has grown to 18 inches
Welcome to the MFK!

Hybrid or not, I am afraid we will never know. But for sure it must be either a cull from the food fish farming in SA or a carelessly produced fish from SE Asia. Either way, it received horrible genes as evidenced by the one of the worst camel-face or duck-bill skull deformity we have ever seen (a common deformity) and by the size which is about 2x smaller than what a healthy fish should have been on average after 2 years.

It's got an attractive pattern though.

If I may, I'd recommend for you to start your own thread in the Catfish section on this fish. Give us more info and visuals and come back regularly to update your thread so we live and enjoy your fish and your hobby with you and also learn alongside with you.

Reactions: Cichlidgeek

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

ryanstef

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2022
Welcome to the MFK!

Hybrid or not, I am afraid we will never know. But for sure it must be either a cull from the food fish farming in SA or a carelessly produced fish from SE Asia. Either way, it received horrible genes as evidenced by the one of the worst camel-face or duck-bill skull deformity we have ever seen (a common deformity) and by the size which is about 2x smaller than what a healthy fish should have been on average after 2 years.

It's got an attractive pattern though.

If I may, I'd recommend for you to start your own thread in the Catfish section on this fish. Give us more info and visuals and come back regularly to update your thread so we live and enjoy your fish and your hobby with you and also learn alongside with you.

I think that deformity happens when they hit hard their face on the glass.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store