Tule perch (Hysterocarpus traskii)

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
Is anybody working with this species? I was reading about the surf perch family, and I came across the freshwater surf perch or tule perch, Hysterocarpus traskii... and I was immediately struck by the thought that this species would probably be incredibly interesting to keep in captivity. It has not been evaluated by the IUCN, and thus, its conservation status is unknown... so perhaps it's best that this species hasn't entered into the trade yet... although surf perches bear live young, and it's reasonable to expect this species to be relatively easy to breed in captivity. (I know of several facilities currently breeding a few of the saltwater surf perch species)

Any experience with this species would be appreciated! I'm not looking to acquire them any time soon, but I'd love to work with them some day, and to hear from anyone who has.

Not my pictures.

Reactions: warmouth

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I'd love to keep them someday as well. If I can afford it I'd eventually like to set up large native community tanks for the Atlantic and Pacific coasts and these guys would definitely have to be included.

warmouth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
missouri
Sorry I cant help you with information, but wow that's a cool fish! I think that it would be really neat to keep these in tank. My big question is whether they are fish that school/shoal, or are they like lepomis in theyre living conditions and habits?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
BTW, the IUCN has evaluated this species several times. The last time being 2013 where the tule perch was listed as 'least concern' in its conservation status:

Taxonomy
Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family
ANIMALIA CHORDATA ACTINOPTERYGII PERCIFORMES EMBIOTOCIDAE

Scientific Name: Hysterocarpus traskii
Species Authority: Gibbons, 1854
Common Name(s):
English – Tule Perch
Synonym(s): Hysterocarpus traski Gibbons, 1854 [orth. error]
Assessment Information
Red List Category & Criteria: Least Concern ver 3.1
Year Published: 2013
Date Assessed: 2012-02-17
Assessor(s): NatureServe
Reviewer(s): Smith, K. & Darwall, W.R.T.
Facilitator/Compiler(s): Hammerson, G.A. & Ormes, M.
Justification:
Distribution and abundance have declined over the long term, but the species is listed as Least Concern because the extent of occurrence, area of occupancy, number of locations, and population size are still quite large, and the species probably is not declining fast enough to qualify for any of the threatened categories.
Geographic Range
Range Description: Range includes Clear Lake; and the Russian, Sacramento-San Joaquin, and Pajaro-Salinas river drainages, California (Moyle 2002, Page and Burr 2011). Non-native populations are established in some areas, including Silverwood and Pyramid reservoirs in southern California (Moyle 2002).
Countries:
Native:
United States

Population
Population: This species is represented by a fairly large number of occurrences (subpopulations).

Total adult population size is unknown but apparently quite large (likely greater than 100,000). This species is still abundant in portions of its range (Moyle 1976, 2002).

Abundance is greatly reduced from historical levels (Moyle 1976, 2002), particularly in the Pajaro-Salinas and San Joaquin river drainages. The species is still common in Clear Lake, but (considering changes in land and shore use and expected new introductions of alien species) its future there is by no means secure (Moyle 2002). Abundance in the Russian River apparently declined between the early 1970s and late 1980s (Moyle 2002).

Trend over the past 10 years or three generations is uncertain but probably relatively stable or slowly declining.
Population Trend:
Stable
Habitat and Ecology
Habitat and Ecology: Habitat includes small to large, low-elevation rivers; a large lake; and estuarine sloughs. This species is found in a wide variety of habitats, including slow or swift-flowing water where conditions are clear or turbid, but usually it occurs in cool, well-oxygenated water with emergent aquatic vegetation, deep pools, and banks with complex cover (Moyle 1976, 2002).
Systems: Freshwater
Threats
Major Threat(s): Decline is apparently due primarily to habitat alterations (Moyle 1976, 2002). This species' viviparity seems to reduce its vulnerability to competition and predation from alien fishes, yet non-native fish species pose a continual potential threat (Moyle 2002). Decline in the Pajaro-Salinas and San Joaquin river drainages may have resulted from poor water quality and toxic chemicals (Moyle 2002). An apparent long-term decline in the San Francisco Estuary possibly is related to increased populations of centrarchids (Moyle 2002). Decline in the Russian River is probably related to habitat alteration caused by dams and decreased water quality from agricultural development; the latter also increases the potential for pesticide spills and other disasters (Moyle 2002).

This species seems to be able to persist in small numbers as long as suitable cover and water quality are present (Moyle 2002).
Conservation Actions
Conservation Actions: Currently, this species is of relatively low conservation concern and does not require significant additional protection or major management, monitoring, or research action.
Citation: NatureServe 2013. Hysterocarpus traskii. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2015.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 28 July 2015.

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
Wait a minute... are you saying that Wikipedia... was wrong? :p

I'm glad they're not facing any immediate threats. Do you know anything about how one would care for one, Oddball?

I wonder if anybody has tried before.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I've read several write-ups going back several decades and not much is listed on the care of the species in aquariums. I did pick out a few tidbits like; the species requires a bit of salt in their water. Not brackish, just a bit of salt. Tules tend to congregate in large groups in heavily planted areas and under overhangs. They feed on small shrimps, copepods, worms, and insect larvae. Females give birth among groups of tules and the young are large enough at birth that cannibalism has never been noted within the species.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The FW species is only found in CA. All you need is a current fishing license and catch them by legal means as described per waterway. Some areas permit netting, some don't. Some areas have catch limits while others don't.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store