Turkana jewel cichlids

Warden2021

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2021
Hi, so this is what my Turkana jewels are doing....twiching, shaking??? Can someone direct me to what I may be dealing with?

Warden2021

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2021
Yes, thanks for the info....I do not think its is mating....however I was using a little cichlid salt and thought that could be the problem irritating them, but your info in the salitity of lake turkana was facinatingand helpful. Maybe i didn't have enough salt for them and I've been keeping the PH at around 75?
I'm trying to post a video

Warden2021

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2021
Yes, thanks for the info....I do not think its is mating....however I was using a little cichlid salt and thought that could be the problem irritating them, but your info in the salitity of lake turkana was facinatingand helpful. Maybe i didn't have enough salt for them and I've been keeping the PH at around 75?
I'm trying to post a video
Its not letting me post a video for some reason

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
It sounds more like an irritant to me, either something in the water or an external parasite or something.

Breeding behavior in H. exsul looks like my thread here:

Reactions: deeda

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Should I add cichlid salt or a specific kind of salt?....and is have crushed coral for gravel now, how can I raise the PH to 9?
I use salt/salt (NaCl), although there's nothing wrong (or magical) cichlid salt, except the price.
To help promote the normal red color, with these type brackish water cichlids, I often use Salt Water/Marine fish food that contains marine (red) algae.
In brackish lakes like Turkana, or Natron without outlets, the type of algae and phytoplankton is often high in these minerals and components not considered needed in most freshwater fish foods.(this is where I find the extra cost worth the trouble) or.... using some of the nouri type red sushi wrap seaweed products as cichlid foods.
I kept Alcolapia alcalicus (another African brackish lake/water cichlid) from Lake Natron (in part, saltier than the ocean), and found using these foods went a long way to better health In their tanks.
I used regular rock salt in their tank at 3lbs plus per 100 gallons.
If you want to post a video, it is often easier to youtube it first, and then copy and paste the link.

Reactions: Deadeye

Warden2021

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2021
I use salt/salt (NaCl), although there's nothing wrong (or magical) cichlid salt, except the price.
To help promote the normal red color, with these type brackish water cichlids, I often use Salt Water/Marine fish food that contains marine (red) algae.
In brackish lakes like Turkana, or Natron without outlets, the type of algae and phytoplankton is often high in these minerals and components not considered needed in most freshwater fish foods.(this is where I find the extra cost worth the trouble) or.... using some of the nouri type red sushi wrap seaweed products as cichlid foods.
I kept Alcolapia alcalicus (another African brackish lake/water cichlid) from Lake Natron (in part, saltier than the ocean), and found using these foods went a long way to better health In their tanks.
I used regular rock salt in their tank at 3lbs plus per 100 gallons.
If you want to post a video, it is often easier to youtube it first, and then copy and paste the link.
Yea...thanks for the info...ima go see exactly how to take a video and post it with my phone.
I took a video already but when I try to attach it....I cant even see it on my pictures...but then when I got thru the gallery, its there. I don't understand.I'm trying to get this video out for Yal to see and maybe ill get some much needed answers

Reactions: tlindsey

Warden2021

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2021
Hi, I was wondering if anyone's has turkana jewel cichlids? I purchased 8 of them. And after a few weeks I've noticed a few of them twitching and rubbing on things...they twitching is while they are floating still in the water, they start to twitch kinda like shake a bit....but they haven't stopped.
Has anyone experience this with the turkana jewel???..my water parameters are all good....0 ammom.....o nitrites......05 nitrates...75 ph....
I've already dosed Metroplex for 2 weeks
Prazi pro for 2 cycles
And fin and body 1 cycle.
So I don't understand why they are twitching like that
....its only like 3 of them 8 doing that...can someone help?
Hi
I have experienced the same thing with my turkana jewel cichlids.
So I was wondering why they were shaking and just floating in the water column and I tried everything and was exhausted since nobody knew what was going on...
So I kept being persistent and watched them closely.
To my surprise I saw tiny little reddish brown worms protruding from their ass! Lol...they are very hard to see and they are called callum anus worms....
So I used Fritz expel to rid them off the worms....do 2 doses read the directions..and my fish finally stopped shaking...
Hope that helped

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store