turn heater off when cleaning your aquarium.

anarekist

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2011
Los Angeles
i had a fluval 200 watt chillin in my pond, forgot how much it evaporated and one day came to find that it had gone above the water level and cracked itself.

oscaroo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
USA
i had a fluval 200 watt chillin in my pond, forgot how much it evaporated and one day came to find that it had gone above the water level and cracked itself.
Mine did not crack. It is still in use. i am scared it will fail. it also heats the water too much. i put it to like 74 degrees and it went to 80. i ordered mine so it has to work for me for a couple days. i have a fluval in my 40 gallon tank. It works great. It looks nice. I like it. i like the silver color. that must be a small pond because 200 watts heats like 55 gallons.

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
I hate in when fish supplies break. How did it break when it was not on? did your sython bump into it?

My tanks are barebottom, I use buckets. But I think I was lazily trying to move it over my internal filter without un-suctioning it, and it snapped clean in half.

And looking back at the situation in detail, I'm fairly sure it actually WAS plugged in. I unplugged it right away though. It could have been way worse.

oscaroo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
USA
My tanks are barebottom, I use buckets. But I think I was lazily trying to move it over my internal filter without un-suctioning it, and it snapped clean in half.

And looking back at the situation in detail, I'm fairly sure it actually WAS plugged in. I unplugged it right away though. It could have been way worse.
heaters are expensive. Well the cheapo ones are not but the name brand ones are. My situation is not as bad. The crazy heater is running in my tank now. I have to use it until the heater I ordered arrives. I am hoping that it will arrive tomorrow.

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I use a completely submersible heater and I never unplug it for water changes, but I also never allow the heater to touch ait while it plugged in. So I think im ok and dont need to unplug it.

aaronb

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2011
Cawker City, KS
I'm using a few JBJ true temp titanium heaters. I forgot to unplug one. It melted the plastic guard almost in half. Luckily I was right there and unplugged it and removed it. It was glowing red and probably would've broke the tank if it had fallen on the bottom, since it was so hot. Bit of a waste of 100 dollars for a weeks worth of use. At least the controller is still good and they sell for 100 by themselves.

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
Do you guys equalize the temperatures of your water/heaters before powering them up? Just curious. Ther pet store people said they can crack/explode if you put them in and turn them on right away if the water temperature is too different than the temperature of the heater :WHOA:

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Do you guys equalize the temperatures of your water/heaters before powering them up? Just curious. Ther pet store people said they can crack/explode if you put them in and turn them on right away if the water temperature is too different than the temperature of the heater :WHOA:
Hello; Yes I do. I install a cool un-powered heater in the water then wait a while before turning it on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store