Turning a cesspool into a fish pond

PonDgUrU

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2015
south texas
I had this nasty cesspool that didn't smell particularly pleasant and it was quite an eyesore
image9.JPG

So I drained it and scrubbed it and pressure washed it
image10.JPG
image3.JPG
image5.JPG

Got a hold of a couple 150 gal rubbermaid stock tanks and turned them into bio filters.. Each tank filters around 4000 gallons of water per hour but with my head height I only run around 3000 per hour through them
image4.JPG
image6.JPG
image1.JPG

After i decided on two 4500 GPH pumps i started filling it again
image1 (3).JPG
image7.JPG
image8.JPG

i had to acquire all the hyacinths to put in the filters from a local drainage canal because texas wont let you purchase or transport them
image3 (2).JPG
image4 (2).JPG

Then i added a couple dozen goldfish to keep the mosquitoes in check until the water turned clear and i could add more fish
image1 (2).JPG

And that ladies and gentleman is how i did it.. I am still making small changes here and there like the pumps got elevated by about 2.5ft, I submerged a very large log and I am adding a bunch of rocks about the size of basketballs to try and make it more natural for the fish

image2.JPG

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I like what you did. The "cesspool" label had me curious. Was it an actual cesspool used to collect human or animal waste? It does not matter as far as what you have done, just curious.

PonDgUrU

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2015
south texas
Hello; I like what you did. The "cesspool" label had me curious. Was it an actual cesspool used to collect human or animal waste? It does not matter as far as what you have done, just curious.
Well I had loose farm animals so they'd get in and deficate around the pool and the rain would wash it in there lol it was just really really nasty stagnant water.. My dogs wouldn't even drink it

Last edited:

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Outstanding! Did you have any help with the work and what are the dimensions of the pool,looks like it would be a great home for some rays,are they lefal in Texas?

Reactions: PonDgUrU

PonDgUrU

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2015
south texas
Outstanding! Did you have any help with the work and what are the dimensions of the pool,looks like it would be a great home for some rays,are they lefal in Texas?
It's a 21x8. On the deep end its 6' and on the shallow end its close to 3' deep.. The only thing I didn't think up were the actual filters.. A company called beautiful ponds and gardens in Michigan has a step by step on how to make a filter.. Just google "skippy filter" They're spot on man my water turned crystal clear in less than 30 days.. I just spent a few weeks gathering all the materials and worked on it for a whole weekend to get it up and running

Last edited:

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Looks great. Any reason why you didn't use the original pool drains and filter? The fencing around like that it would be the perfect structure for a shade cloth. Helps take the load off the filter.

Reactions: PonDgUrU
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store