Turning pool into a pond... worst idea

SfirtenK

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Pittsburgh
It seems like a good idea for everyone who buys a house with a pool they do not plan on using for themselves. Any thought about why it failed?

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
Hard to tell without more info from OP about water tests and conditions. Since it was a 2014 thread I'm sure this info is long lost.

Giant Val

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2017
Qld, Australia
I turned my in ground pool into a pond several years ago. Its going fine. Its got heaps of fish. The only time I lost a significant number of fish is when a cormorant visited a few years ago and ate hundreds of barbs,

Reactions: SfirtenK

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
I turned my in ground pool into a pond several years ago. Its going fine. Its got heaps of fish. The only time I lost a significant number of fish is when a cormorant visited a few years ago and ate hundreds of barbs,
What else did you have in there? That must be pretty neat if you had hundreds of barbs.

Giant Val

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2017
Qld, Australia
Hi there's Rosy Barbs in reasonable, Golden Barbs also breed well, Tinfoil Barbs (haven't bred), Zebra and Leaopard Danios, Giant Danios, Pearl Danios, Buenos Aires Tetras, Red-bellied Tetras, Silver Dollars, Paradise Fish, Black sharks, Yoyo loaches, Bristle-noses, Bronze and Peppered Corydoras, Crimson-spotted Rainbowfish, Pacific Blue-eyes, Geo braziliensis. Someone gave me a few Jack Dempseys a couple of years ago. They are a nuisance they breed in big numbers and eat a lot of the smaller fish. I catch a lot and destroy them, but I think all the smaller fish are reducing in numbers and gradually I'll only have the bigger fish which is a pity. It wasn't difficlt to set up. I just stopped chlorinating the pool, put in a heap of plants and wood, then fish.

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
Hi there's Rosy Barbs in reasonable, Golden Barbs also breed well, Tinfoil Barbs (haven't bred), Zebra and Leaopard Danios, Giant Danios, Pearl Danios, Buenos Aires Tetras, Red-bellied Tetras, Silver Dollars, Paradise Fish, Black sharks, Yoyo loaches, Bristle-noses, Bronze and Peppered Corydoras, Crimson-spotted Rainbowfish, Pacific Blue-eyes, Geo braziliensis. Someone gave me a few Jack Dempseys a couple of years ago. They are a nuisance they breed in big numbers and eat a lot of the smaller fish. I catch a lot and destroy them, but I think all the smaller fish are reducing in numbers and gradually I'll only have the bigger fish which is a pity. It wasn't difficlt to set up. I just stopped chlorinating the pool, put in a heap of plants and wood, then fish.
That must be one heck of a "tank" any pictures?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yes please share with us any photos you have....might as well since the thread starter appears to have moved on and is long gone.I suspect that those "fish experts" did him wrong.

Reactions: kendragon

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Yes please share with us any photos you have....might as well since the thread starter appears to have moved on and is long gone.I suspect that those "fish experts" did him wrong.
"fish expert"....who dat?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store