turtle problem

fishpets101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2020
hi! i have i RES turtle in a 120 gallon tank. my turtle is rubbing is rubbing his hand to his eye every 2-3 minutes while basking from the past few days. any idea if i have to be concerned about this? he is also occasionally yawning while basking. i think he is feeling irritated in the facial area. i caught him today basking while dipping his head underwater and shaking his head while rubbing his face with his hands.

a video on him doing this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PNflstEbjw4_UXtHM3aiCFWYX35EoJGg/view?usp=sharing

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
What is his diet? Maybe take something out of it and see if he stops the itching he could be allergic to something. Have you feed him something new recently?? Or is there any bugs? That you have seen?

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

fishpets101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2020
i feed him tetra reptomin as a staple, some frozen shrimp food, and a calcium supliment

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I used to see eye infections in the sliders pretty commonly working at petco, usually it was because the tank would be overcrowded and water would become dirty very quickly. What is your water change schedule like? Any cloudy water, etc?
We used to take the infected turtles and put them in a separate tank with clean water, and if it did not improve vet was the next step. I believe vitamin A deficiency is one of the leading causes of the eye infections, if it isn't the water.

fishpets101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2020
I used to see eye infections in the sliders pretty commonly working at petco, usually it was because the tank would be overcrowded and water would become dirty very quickly. What is your water change schedule like? Any cloudy water, etc?
We used to take the infected turtles and put them in a separate tank with clean water, and if it did not improve vet was the next step. I believe vitamin A deficiency is one of the leading causes of the eye infections, if it isn't the water.
i do a 50% waterchange every 2 weeks and have crystal clear water

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store